Beta Reading Shop-Will Beta for Gold-CLOSED TO NEW REQUESTS

Share any written short stories, novels, or poetry

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Beta Reading Shop-Will Beta for Gold-CLOSED TO NEW REQUESTS

Post by Raneth »

I am closed to new requests for now- I have and will have lots of work to do, both in the lab and in terms of my own writing (like my MS story). I may open up again in the future. Thanks for giving me the chance to read your work and critique it!

Looking for a beta reader? I've noticed a lot of people post here and don't get much in the way of feedback, so I decided to offer a remedy for that. I will beta your writing for a fee-It will help you out, and it will help me improve my own writing and editing skills.

First, let's get some rules out of the way:

1. I will not edit something that is going to be used for school or work. If it seems like an assignment, I won't accept it. I will also not edit something that will be used in any sort of writing contest on this site (one of the reasons being I may also be entering :P) Other than that, anything else goes, although please keep in mind I can't properly determine if fanfic characters are in character if I have not been exposed to the work they're from. I also will not edit poetry.

2. I will not edit something that is not properly formatted. That means a line between paragraphs, not clumps of text.

3. Please don't take the corrections personally. I will be harsh as a necessity-it's nothing against you. If you don't take crit well, think hard before you ask me to look at your work.

4. Beta requests should be posted in the thread, and the work itself sent through PM (in approx 5000 word length chunks if necessary, due to the PM length limit). If the work is very long, then we can arrange an email exchange.

5. Please be patient. Depending on length and severity, editing can take a while.

There are three levels of editing you can ask for:

1. Basic. This is a request to look at the work on a global level-does the idea work? Is it paced well? Is it interesting? Are the characters intriguing? I won't go into too much detail with a basic readthrough, although you can expect a paragraph at the end where I will comment on how you can improve your writing or your story. This is the best choice for long works, and will have the quickest turnaround.

2. Intermediate: Basic plus harsher comments on writing mistakes. I will mark where wording should change in select paragraphs.

3. Severe: Expect your work to be torn up. I will provide the paragraph at the end that discusses the content of the work and mark every instance in your writing where I think something doesn't work or sounds awkward. Use this if you want to learn quickly what you need to work on in your writing. This will take me some time.

Pricing: Prices depend on the length of the work and how in depth you want me to get. All payments should be sent before the editing begins-so if you just send me the work with no payment, it will be deleted unread.

Basic: Anything under 1000 words I will edit for .5 gold a word-so if it's 500 words, it will cost you 250 gold. Above 1000 words and the price goes up to 1 gold a word.

Intermediate: Anything under 1000 words will cost 1 gold a word. Anything over 1000 words will cost 1.5 gold a word.

Severe: Anything under 1000 words will cost 1.5 gold a word. Anything over 1000 words will cost 2 gold a word, and I will not edit anything at this level that is longer than 5000 words. After one harsh round of criticism, you should be able to improve your writing after that much correction.

Please note that sending me 10 900 word chapters of the same story will still count as 9000 words.

If you would like to use creatures as payment, please ask and I will consider it per case. If for some reason you are the next Hemingway and I can't find anything wrong with your writing, your payment will be refunded.

Let the fun begin!

Form for requesting edits:

Username:
Genre and Length of Work:
Severity of critique:
Price:
What would like me to focus on about this piece? Is there anything you want me to ignore?

Editing in Progress:
Spoiler
Completed Edits:
Spoiler
Volatile, CocoaLoco, Kestrad(3), Yui(3), MadameRed, l337Lorelei, Hanako, Yellowfang, Icethornstar, ML1201
Blacklist-People I won't edit for:
Spoiler
None
Last edited by Raneth on July 7th, 2011, 9:31:02 pm, edited 18 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Re: Beta Reading Shop-Will Beta for Gold

Post by Raneth »

Bump :wave:
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

Bump
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

Bump
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

bump
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

Bump
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

Bump
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
ObsidianFelix
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Post by ObsidianFelix »

I might be more inclined to take you seriously if you didn't spell several things incorrectly. I'm just saying so that maybe you could go back and edit.
Image ImageImageImageImage
ellysketchit
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by ellysketchit »

Out of everything that Raneth has put up, a couple of minor errors is really nothing. This person is one of the most literate folks I know, as one can very easily tell from the marvelously worded thread they have here.

I don't understand how you could "not take them seriously" for a few very minor errors when the flavor of it all is very educated and speaks for itself. That's a bit petty overall; I'm a decent writer but I'm dyslexic myself and have a keyboard that doubles up letters. So yes, sometimes I have some spelling errors as well. But that would be like saying I'm not a serious writer because I made one or two mistakes.

Everyone does. Even editors. I've read novels that got published where there are many mistakes in them. LOL.

So, despite some small mistakes that prove Raneth is a person, I won't take them any less seriously as an editor, for what matters is that they understand grammar and the turn of a phrase very well. Honestly, all I've found is a couple mistakes anyway, neither really that horrible.
and it will help me improve my own writing and editing skills.
Right there from the thread. They're not saying they're perfect anyway XD

The only reason I haven't posted here is because my work(s) are very long and it would take quite awhile to send/post them. LOL. But I keep hoping folks will come to this shop and check it often (which is how I found this post)...

[eggs] IRL causing problems; sorry all

ellysketchit.deviantart

Egglock Help!
Spoiler

Code: Select all

[eggs]

No matter how bad it gets,
Zoro always has the ability
to make it all better.
[/center]
Volatile
CreaturesTrade

Post by Volatile »

I have been meaning to get you to read through some writing I have been doing but I couldn't find this thread xD
Thankfully I managed to find it through your signature <3

Username: Volatile
Genre and Length of Work: Fantasy. Not very long, it's only a prologue.
Severity of critique: Severe, I'd like to know what I really need to change in it.
Price: Well there are 1258 words so that will be 2516g (:
What would like me to focus on about this piece? Is there anything you want me to ignore? Nope. just focus on whatever you think is good. Detail, grammar, spelling etc. Just be as bitter as you possibly can 8D

ImageImage
Valen and Crysania Guard My Keep
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bleeding Heart Gryphon Fleet Count ~ 30
Signature by me and my awesomesauce skills.
Love you Mazzi. You are absolute awesomesauce hun~

Return to “Tea House”