Competition - Lamira and Taenaran Dolphin

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Ramoth
CreaturesTrade

Competition - Lamira and Taenaran Dolphin

Post by Ramoth »

Well, here we are: the Lamira and the Taenaran Dolphin!

The pictures are just for reference.

Lamira:

General: This rabbit-like creature was once popular among hunters for two reasons: its beautiful flaxen fur and the dangerous horn on its forehead. Because it was so widely coveted, it became so rare it was reduced to a mere legend. Only recently have magi had the pleasure of sighting one of these creatures in the forests near the keep.

Egg: A small dark horn protrudes from one side of this surprisingly lightweight, buff-colored egg.

Hatchling: The young Lamira’s light fur looks luxuriously soft, but when you reach out to stroke it, the hatchling tenses nervously. The horn on its forehead is not strong enough to provide adequate protection, so its only way to save itself from danger is to flee. You remain still long enough to assuage the hatchling’s fear, and it eventually hops over, looking to be petted. The hatchling is ever curious and affectionate, but it is also easily frightened. Patience is necessary to earn its trust.

Adult: Your flighty youth has matured into a majestic adult Lamira. Now that it’s older, you have to be wary of its powerful black horn; the Lamira perfectly capable of defending itself – and its master, if it so chooses. It will not attack without good reason, however; Lamiras generally possess a calm and peaceable disposition.

The pictures are just for reference, as I’m not really the best artist, and I did them in black and white. So: I imagine them as flax or buff-colored (I looked up shades of yellow on Wikipedia), and darker brown along the back, head and ears. Sort of fading in. The horn is black, or maybe dark gray if it looks better.

It was fun to draw, though, because I had no prior experience drawing rabbits. It was a nice challenge.

Dolphin:

General: The Taenaran Dolphins are known for their speed, beauty, and love of fun. They can to shoot through the water like a bullet, and have been known to pop up to the surface to splash water on unsuspecting magi. They have a carefree air about them, although they become deadly serious when protecting their young. Their amiable ways can bring a smile to almost anyone’s face.

Egg: This gray egg has a golden stripe around its middle, and it slips through your hands when you try to pick it up.

Hatchling: The newly hatched dolphin is the same shade of gray as its egg, with a glisteningll gold stripe along its side. Only a few moments after it’s born, it’s already full of energy, zipping around the water with great enthusiasm. You can hardly keep your eye on the energetic newborn, much less hold its attention for more than a minute.

Adult: Even as an adult, your dolphin still displays a childish demeanor, fighting for your attention and seizing every opportunity to play games. Resigning yourself to the creature’s antics, you slip into the water for a short break from your duties. You smile in anticipation as the fully mature Taenaran Dolphin allows you to grab onto its dorsal fin. Its lovely gray skin is smooth beneath your fingers. The playful creature zips off into the water’s depths before you are ready, and you almost lose your grip. Tugged underwater, you fervently admire the lake’s beauty until you are forced to come up for air. Wistfully you release your hold on the dolphin and swim up to take big gulps of air, still treasuring the moment in your mind.

The dolphin was so beautiful. In my head. On paper, not so much. Oh well. This is what I get for not using a reference.

And if you’re wondering, I got the name “Taenaran” from “Cape Taenarum”. In Greek mythology, a dolphin rescued Arion and brought him to that cape. I’ve been into Greek mythology lately.
::Please click my creatures::
ImageImageImageImageImage
Thank you!
DragonflyFae
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Re: Competition - Lamira and Taenaran Dolphin

Post by DragonflyFae »

Great job on both!

o.O ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kamitsure