Ni flag violence- Thoughts??

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

GealachBuile
CreaturesTrade

Ni flag violence- Thoughts??

Post by GealachBuile »

Well, I'm almost certain I'm the only one here from NI, but whatever.

If you don't know, the city hall in belfast recently decided only to fly the Union flag on certain occasions. As NI has a very volatile atmosphere, both political and social, this has set off rioting. This was, really, expected by most, but I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter.

As always, not Protestant/Catholic bashing, and no Unionist/Nationist bashing.

I myself think that the Ulster, Ireland and Union flags should be flown, and switched each week, or only fly them at holidays, and switch them each day.
eternalrapture
CreaturesTrade

Re: Ni flag violence- Thoughts??

Post by eternalrapture »

Just wanted to jump in and say that I'm from NI too :)

I'm currently in Wales for uni though, so I hadnt heard all the details, just that there had been riots, but that its all over some flags is ridiculous. The city hall should have known better, NI has such a turbulent history as far as political and religious tension is concerned, you'd think they would realise that only flying the Union flag would cause huge problems.

Don't really have much to add, just wanted to let you know you're not the only person here from NI :) I would be interested in seeing what the rest of the world thinks about this though. My (English) boyfriend and his family were really worried when they heard there were riots and were taken aback when I didnt seem at all surprised.
~Feel free to mine my whole keep - all hatchlings are fair game ;)

Rawr~~
Picinio
CreaturesTrade

Re: Ni flag violence- Thoughts??

Post by Picinio »

I'm Irish, and am sad to see a centuries-old conflict continue into the 21st century. I hope our generation can become more peaceful. Maybe they should fly a Magistream flag instead to celebrate the ideals found on this site - kindness, nurturing, patience and cooperation...not to mention creativity, beauty and imaginative storytelling (all Irish traits on both sides of the border)
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”