Soleligon, Jellyfish, Hummingbird, and Fedoraenmon

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
KooshyKoKo
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Soleligon, Jellyfish, Hummingbird, and Fedoraenmon

Post by KooshyKoKo »

Soleligon (Solar Eclipse Dragon)
Spoiler
Egg:
No matter from which angle this egg is seen from, the center is the deepest and darkest shade of black, the outer edges are a brilliant blue white.

Hatchling:
You thought this shell would slowly crack open, like many other eggs, however this egg's shell is moving. Since you can't tell what it's made of, as all you see apart from it's edges is darkness, you weren't aware that it hatched until a small bright eye blinked, watching you. It's wings unwrap from around it's body, no longer bearing any resemblance in shape to the egg it once was. You look at your new hatchling, blue white light resembling a crown of spiked scales or perhaps feathers grace it's head. Apart from the eyes and the plume on it's head, your hatchling cannot really be seen apart from it's outline. This hatchling prefers roaming around in the dark, illuminating the dark hallways and depths of the Keep. On clear nights, you can find it basking in moonlight.

Adult:
Despite the headache many magi find themselves having after dealing for extended periods of time with soleligons, every magi knows how valuable and rare such a companion is. A little larger than wyverns, they can carry a magi. Although they are capable, most magi fall prey to the headache that accompanies these creatures so it's uncommon to see one being ridden farther than the lake. These creatures never venture far from the keep except to venture to sites of eclipses, which they are able to predict. When the towers are completely empty of solar eclipse dragons, there's an eclipse somewhere in the world. Soleligons seem to favor the tower in which their species originated, though many spend their nights at Lake Lakira. Hundreds of soleligons, giving off their own cold light, flying so slowly over the lake that you wonder how gravity doesn't pull them from the sky, shimmering reflections of their light dancing in the dark waters below. No magi would ever forget their first time seeing it.

General:
The highest tower of the Keep has, for as long as anyone can remember, been used for the study of astronomy. The creation of simulated mini stars and other celestial bodies occur with some regularity within that tower. Many years ago, the Keep and surrounding lands experienced a total solar eclipse. The blinding light surrounding darkness was an image no magi of that time would ever forget. A magi who saw that eclipse, thought it was the most beautiful thing in existence, over the course of her life she worked out how to create a living eclipse. That magi's creation was the first of many soleligons. Their name was derived from solar eclipse dragons, an early description of them; though they are deemed dragons, it's impossible to see much beyond their blue white outline, so their anatomy could be closer to that of wyverns or drakes, only their creator knew what creature they were physically based on.

Pictures of total solar eclipses:
Image Image

Rough sketch:

Color inverted sketch:

Those are just rough sketches, keeping with an actual eclipse image.
A more dragon looking final creature would be excellent.

I tried to sprite it, but the site artists could do better.
Small sketch and general sprite outline-ish thing attempt:

A general sprite attempt, to show the general idea:

*would like for the artists to do it if it's chosen*

Edit 1:
Detailed physical description:
Apart from the blueish white outer edges of the creature, it's black and you can't really see it. However, based on the outlines, you can tell it has a dragon-like shape and is reptilian. There's a bluish white "crown" that's sort of spiky, feathery, and wispy (*doesn't know how else to describe it >.< *)
:sweat: um... that it's hard to see is its most defining physical feature.
{{[*thinks to herself : That's a major design problem right there.*]}}
But it would be so cool if someone could pull it off. XD

Edits 2-5:

Jellyfish.
Spoiler
Egg:
Soft and slightly gelatinous, this egg has several short tentacles dangling in the water beneath it.

Hatchling:
Having no eyes, ears, or anything resembling a face, this hatchling is different from any you've encountered so far. This hatchling knows when you come near, though you're not sure how it distinguishes you from every other magi along the water's edge; upon your approach it's usually languid movements become more energetic and the creature gives off light, as it's bioluminescent.

Adult:
Easy as long as a normal magi is tall, this adult jellyfish's sting could easily kill any magi and most other creatures; these creatures do not sting automatically, they have full control over their nematocysts. Though their venom is highly dangerous, it's a valuable ingredient in potions and is difficult to gather, despite the control these jellyfish have.

General:
Jellyfish generally swarm together when not accompanying their master. Should you visit any body of water at night and fancy a swim, jellyfish are never far. These large and slow moving creatures, giving off bioluminescent light in the murky waters give peace of mind and a sense of serenity. These peaceful creatures are excellent companions for night explorations as well; a magi with a koi or hippocampus can explore the dark depths by the light given by any number of jellyfish. When a jellyfish's master is off on other travels, it's not uncommon for them to follow another jellyfish with its master; though the reason, curiosity, loneliness, or wanting to be of some use is unknown.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Edit 6: Moving Edit 1. *shrug*
Edit 7: adding different colors of jellyfish
Edit 8: Changing the name of the Solar Eclipse Dragon to Soleligon.

Edit 9:
Hummingbird
Spoiler
Egg:
This egg is tinier than any you have seen before and is adorned by small brightly colored feathers.

Hatchling:
Not long after hatching, this little bird shimmers, its feathers in colors of brilliant iridescent blues and greens. It's small wings, moving so swiftly they can't be seen as the young bird zips around, examining any bright or color objects it finds. As the young bird flies at your side in the keep, snapping up small insects and spiders in it's long beak, you keep a wary eye out for winged cats. Although you know the young bird could easily outmaneuver a cat, you can't help but fear for the fragile looking bird's safety.

Adult:
Though it hasn't grown much, your hummingbird is now an adult. You've hesitantly started letting it roam without you. Within the Keep, your bird delivers tiny messages in cramped writing on small bits of parchment. The bright bird still stands out as it brings you messages. Out of the keep, your hummingbird prefers the company of its own kind or that of the other beautifully colored birds, puvias.

General:
Minuscule when compared to the other creatures magi care for, hummingbirds are often found hovering around their masters. When not accompanying magi or enjoying life in the Keep, hummingbirds occasionally visit the Jungle of Raza and the Callisto Islands, warmer areas where the species originated. Hummingbirds can normally be seen with puvia, the much larger bird keeping some predators at bay.

[Physical Description]
I was kinda hoping for at least two different colorings of humming birds.
One the iridescent blue and green mentioned in the hatchling description, which is based off a broad billed hummingbird. The other being based off broad tailed hummingbirds.
Broad Billed: http://fireflyforest.net/images/firefly ... bird-1.jpg
Broad Tailed: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Z9noN9a-Bdo/R ... dtailm.jpg

Edit 10:
Just for giggles, Fedoraenmon
Spoiler
Egg:
This egg feels like felt and has pinstripes and a black band around it.

Hatchling:
The egg unfurled, revealing a small hat. Dark grey with white pinstripes, this mini fedora was not what you were expecting. You look away to pull a book of creatures from a drawer, yet when you look back, the fedora and your grapes are gone. Perhaps the whole thing was your imagination, you open the drawer to return the book, only to see the small hat. You reach down, gently picking up what you now guess is a fedoraenmon. You had always thought the older magi were making fun of you by telling stories of fedoraenmon, living fedoras that seemed to break the laws of space and time. You gently stroke the top of the soft hatchling, not quite sure which stories to believe.

Adult:
The disappearing, reappearing, item locating actions of the full sized fedora, doesn’t bother you now, at least not too much. Truthfully it’s still a little disconcerting. Though your fedoraenmon can be very irritating, it has tender moments. You’ve found it upside down, cradling your eggs as if it were a nest on several different occasions. Once, you’ve woken up and found it on you head, as if it were any other hat. Though you could have sworn you felt something moving inside it touching your head, no amount of examination has ever located anything that could have been toughing your head.

General:
Fedoraenmons are fedoras that have been brought to life, or at least it seems they are alive. They grow, consumable items disappear when you’re not looking, and they move instantaneously and almost continuously. It can be setting on a desk, then in the blink of an eye be on a bookshelf across the room. Fedoraenmons have a habit of covering any object that will fit underneath them at the most inconvenient of times. Small journals, pens, the occasional frozen egg, among other random objects have been revealed with the lifting of a fedoraenmon. Though, should a magi have lost a small object and a fedoraenmon appear at hand, whatever the magi lost is underneath them, no matter where the item was lost. One story tells of a young magi that lost her most precious amulet deep in the jungles of Raza. Years past and as an old woman she had obtained a fedoraenmon. She found it rather irriating, until one day, it didn’t move at all. Worried, she lifted the creature and underneath it laid her amulet, untouched by time, exactly the same as she’d lost it, years ago.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by KooshyKoKo on September 13th, 2009, 8:56:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I have a twitter account.

My Merchant District Thread(s):
|:|none|:|
-->
By Chimera!
Check out her art shop.
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Re: Solar Eclipse Dragon

Post by BluMajica »

I like the descriptions for this - though I'm thinking ti would be a hard one to sprite - then again maybe not.
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
Dr Starchild
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Dr Starchild »

I would LOVE this as a dragon cave creature, but here on magistream I like creature that are more lifelike... because that dragon can't spend it's entire life in that position, and than it wouldn't look like an eclipse anymore.
ImageImageImage
KooshyKoKo
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by KooshyKoKo »

Dr Starchild wrote:I would LOVE this as a dragon cave creature, but here on magistream I like creature that are more lifelike... because that dragon can't spend it's entire life in that position, and than it wouldn't look like an eclipse anymore.
My sketch/sprite were just showing the general idea. I'll admit that my solar eclipse dragon sprite would fit a little better in DC than in MS, but I'm hopeful that the site artists could do something with it and the descriptions.

On a different note, I added jellyfish. XD

-->
By Chimera!
Check out her art shop.
KooshyKoKo
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Soleligon, Jellyfish, Hummingbird, and Fedoraenmon

Post by KooshyKoKo »

Sorry for the double post.
:t-blush:

I added hummingbird descriptions and picture links as well as fedoraenmon descriptions and sprites.

The latter just being for giggles.
Please look them over. ^_^

-->
By Chimera!
Check out her art shop.
cyberus151
CreaturesTrade

Post by cyberus151 »

Great job, the Fedoraenmon Made me laugh
Hey, I'm an ancient user. Ignore my profile and such, too tired to update, haha.
~ImageImageImageImage~
SunsetVWF026
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by SunsetVWF026 »

Lol, the Fedoraenmon reminds me of Indy's fedora- it always gets lost, but it always comes back to him...xD
Forgotten Unicorn Hoard: 984/1000. Fun fact, I currently own 4.48% of all Forgotten Unicorns on Magistream. Almost there!
13/25 presents~
KooshyKoKo
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by KooshyKoKo »

cyberus151 wrote:Great job, the Fedoraenmon Made me laugh
That's what it's here for, though I really do wish my fedora could find all the stuff I lose.
:angel:
SunsetVWF026 wrote:Lol, the Fedoraenmon reminds me of Indy's fedora- it always gets lost, but it always comes back to him...xD
I've never thought of that before, he never does lose it does he?
>.<

-->
By Chimera!
Check out her art shop.
vampiresskat
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by vampiresskat »

I would get tonnes of Fedoraenmon if they became available. Just saying.
Clicky please!
ImageImage

ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImage Image
anrepo
CreaturesTrade

Post by anrepo »

The Fedoraenmon made me laugh! That would be funny if it got made into a magistream creature! XD
If it ain't in my signature, then don't click it.
Image<---For newbies/Little ones-->ImageImageImageImageImage
Helping:

Looking to buy some creatures and frozen eggs

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”