The Bird that Never Lands & The Titan of Frost

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Clockwork
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

The Bird that Never Lands & The Titan of Frost

Post by Clockwork »

Safat:
Egg:
This egg has two wings that constantly beat. They must be strong, because it's been in the air since you first saw it.

Hatchling:
The young safat refuses to land on it's spindly legs, constantly flying around your head. You try to entice it down to your arm with meat, but it simply snatches it from your hand while passing, as it did the many times before. It suddenly seems less active. Upon closer examination, it's asleep, & still flapping it's muscular wings. You wait, & still it won't land. It never does...

Adult:
That constantly airborne little safat is matured, a mighty bird of prey, still not having landed once. You watch in awe as it soars, seemingly never tiring. It's massive bulk can carry a cow as easily as a blade of grass, if it's legs weren't as flimsy from never being used as a wriggling salamander. It sometimes goes up so high you can't see it. You have no idea what it does up there, & it never goes past the Keep's roof with you onboard. But when it comes down, it seems to have a full stomach. Whatever it finds to eat at such high altitudes you can't guess, but you're glad to let it use this food source rather then have to feed it so much yourself.

General:
Safats are mysterious birds. They never stop to rest, seem fatigueless, & soar seemingly out of the sky itself. Commoners stricktly beleive that they eat the stars... After all, what else is there up in the highest reaches of the sky to eat? Never has anyone recorded being taken on one of these expeditions, or of seeing the great birds land. In fact, noone even knows where they came from. They've never been seen until fairly recently, except in legends & old wive's tails. But, sure enough, one day they started appearing, seemingly out of thin air... Maybe that's what they do up in the sky, being fed by or feeding upon their bretherin?

Behemoth:
Egg:
This titanic egg is larger then some of the Keep's Pegasi, & Rocs are even needed to assistant in it's transportation!

Hatchling:
You look up from your studies in fear. The egg was begining to hatch, & at it's size, anything less then a Gryphon caught under it would be doomed. The wobbling prison falls from it's huge nest, & begins rolling down the hill towards the Stream. You chase after it, struggling to catch up, & after a long run freeze as it sails over the stream's northern bank. It hits the edge of the southern side, & cracks. You fear for the safety of both the creature inside, & any eggs unlucky enough to be caught under it as it breaks in half. The lower shell sinks to the bottom, causing the eggs to move in it's swells, but leaving them undamaged. The upper half's occupent looks over at you from across the tiny body of water & moans hungrily. It's furry head sways from side to side, small ears fuzzy & long trunk strong but delicate. The 4 tusks coming from it's upper lip follow the head's motion, & the rest of the huge fluffy body comes out & easily steps over the stream towards you. It would be a hassle raising this creature to adult-hood... But nothing compared to keeping it out of trouble later.

Adult:
You stretch your body down & pat your Behemoth's head, barely reaching the temple from atop it's thick neck. It raises the muscular snout & gently brushes your head in return. Chimeras, Chupacabras, & Kitsunes move out of it's path, while Gryphons, Hippogryphs, & Puvia take to the air. This titanic creature is undeniably one of the largest animals of the Keep, but is by no means is it deadly to anyone who doesn't happen to be under the shadow of it's might. Indeed, you've seen more magi be mauled by Aeboth Frogs then the huge Behemoth. It's short tail waves back & forth as the tree-trunk legs leave craters in the earth, the enormous muscles rippling under the shaggy brown coat. It bellows, & you rub the thick skull as it turns, going for the tree line it towers over & ripping half the leaves off in a single crunch, grinding it in the powerful jaws. Wildlife flee from the creature, fearing for their lives. The giant curled tusks gore the gnarled forest against your beast's will, knocking down a labyrinth of branches. Behemoths are amazingly usefull despite their accidental destructiveness, in gathering eggs, their huge height & long trunk being perfect ladders to high ledges, & this same surprisinly tender instrument can pluck even the largest & smallest eggs from various angles as easily as a serpent sneaks up on it's prey. Few animals dare to attack anyone mounted on one of the huge pachyderms, & those that do rarely find anything but bruises.

General:
Behemoths are perhaps the largest creatures known, titanic animals wandering the frosted tundras of Arkene's northernmost parts. They're never seen in the wild save their occaisonal appearences when people think they've gone insane in the farthest raches of ths land of ice & snow, seeing silhouettes too massive to be anything that could possibly exist, let alone in deep in the swirls of stinging sleet. Ice Phoenixes & Gryphons move out of their path, Arkenian Kitsunes flee deep into what thickets there are to avoid them, even the narwhals speed away from their titanic forms. Yet in truth, they couldn't be any less harmful to anything but plant life. They wouldn't intentionatly hurt a buzzing fly, let alone a helpless fox or whale. They area also excedingly loyal, & will risk death rather then disobey their magi.
Last edited by Clockwork on September 16th, 2009, 10:25:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arimermaid
CreaturesTrade

Re: Safat, The Bird that Never Lands

Post by Arimermaid »

Very interesting. I like it! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I love snakes, none for you!
http://magistream.com/user/Arimermaid ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage All clicking regardless of which site it comes from is very much appreciated!
Icefire1997
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Icefire1997 »

Woot, this will be an intresting bird......
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Life's not about hiding through the storm. Life's about dancing in the rain."
http://magistream.com/13-merchant-distr ... nixes.html LTB your phoenixes
ImageImageImage
Clockwork
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Clockwork »

Thanks :D My friend is going to try spriting them, I beleive. Or maybe he just told me that to make me get exited & try to motivate him to make his own's sprites. XD
EDIT: Indeed it will be. &, unlike most things I make, it's not actually made by me. There's practically nothing about it on the internet, but it IS real mythological bird.
Arimermaid
CreaturesTrade

Post by Arimermaid »

Clockwork wrote:Thanks :D My friend is going to try spriting them, I beleive. Or maybe he just told me that to make me get exited & try to motivate him to make his own's sprites. XD
EDIT: Indeed it will be. &, unlike most things I make, it's not actually made by me. There's practically nothing about it on the internet, but it IS real mythological bird.
I think I once saw a bird like this in a game ... 4 wings, bright purple, always hovering ... :yarly:
http://magistream.com/user/Arimermaid ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage All clicking regardless of which site it comes from is very much appreciated!
Clockwork
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Clockwork »

Well, this one isn't purple & only has a set of wings, but 2 video game birds, one that's purple, & the other having 4 wings, influenced it a bit xD
Arimermaid
CreaturesTrade

Post by Arimermaid »

Clockwork wrote:Well, this one isn't purple & only has a set of wings, but 2 video game birds, one that's purple, & the other having 4 wings, influenced it a bit xD
:lol: Sounds good! :D
Sigma Tech72
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Sigma Tech72 »

I am incredibly insulted you would think that would motivate me to make my own sprites.
Clockwork
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Bird that Never Lands & The Titan of Frost

Post by Clockwork »

Oh come on Sigma, it was a joke.
I just added the Behemoth, my 2nd entry. Good for me.

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”