The It's Comfy but Probably Not Cool Thread

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

The It's Comfy but Probably Not Cool Thread

Post by TxCat »

I'm curious what other people use as their 'comfy' clothes. What clothing makes you feel safer, luckier, more intelligent, or just plain comforts you? Do you like pajamas? What kind, what patterns, what fabrics? How about sweats or hoodies?

Since it's gotten colder in Florida and Pshaw came to us with no winter clothes, we went to Target the other day in search of pajama bottoms and slippers. I'd bought her a thick purple terry cloth robe with little pom-poms on it last Christmas and she loves that but it's not enough for lounging around the house.

It's also autumn/Halloween season. There are ALL KINDS of interesting print pajamas in flannel, jersey, and other soft materials. Everyone in this household loves the autumn season so we talked of everyone's favorite pajamas and finding new patterns and textures.

For me, it's rather simple. I like granny gowns, the kind the pioneers wore, of thick soft flannel or in paisley or calico. I know such delicate prints look silly on my big body and the plaid just makes it look like someone lost a fight with a lumberjack, but to me these are comfort patterns rich in memories and warmth.

Pshaw picked a pair of black fleece pajamas trimmed in bright pink polka dots with a broad matching ribbon. The pattern on them is of brightly colored sugar skulls. The slippers were of a clog style but knit, purple to match the robe. They even had buttons!

I tend to go for comfort over fashion these days: bright prints which call attention to my hair or my face rather than my twisted, broken body; soft cuddly fabrics which feel like a hug and don't chafe. I love oversized tee shirts with smart sayings or bright art deco prints on them. A lot of mine have butterflies, sunflowers, and dragonflies on them because they give me hope and remind me to be happy with what I have at any given time.

When I'm writing, I want loose comfortable things. I have these huge jersey tee shirts I ordered from Roaman's when I was in my late teens. They have holes and they're stained badly from cooking, making art, handling animals, and household chores but they're also worn soft. The kelly green looks more like a wilting forest but I love that shirt.

Hats! I adore hats, and not just because they cover my thin hair and bald spots. I like the new ones they're getting in, the ones which look like those the flappers wore in the 20s. Straw and things with feathers are also favorites. I HATE baseball caps but I love my black Stetson (it's a real Stetson made of buffalo felt and was bought for me as a birthday present to go with the GMC I drive which looks like Walker's on the TV show).

Also, scarves --- I wear them to match my dresses and other outfits. Sometimes I wear them biker style and I have some really neat ones for that purpose: a white one patterned with dog bones and the word "WOOF"; a black one with green, red, and blue skulls in a lurid print that looks like a neon sign. I have some long, soft silk scarves which I wear in the same manner the Middle Eastern women wear their hijab and for the same reasons (keeps off the heat, protects from sunburn, and people don't stare at the marks from the disease and the chemo).

Some of my clothes are worn through but I can't bear to part with them. I look avidly for similar items or, if I can't do that, I get out the sewing machine and use the tattered garment as a pattern to make another.

What's your comfy, maybe not cool, definitely you, wouldn't part with it preference?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: The It's Comfy but Probably Not Cool Thread

Post by HobbitFeet »

Hmm, pretty much everything I wear in my house fits this category. Especially since I put on a little weight in the last year :/

My absolute favorite pants to lounge around in are rather big. They're a men's size large and they certainly wouldn't stay on if it weren't for a tie at the waist. They're black and obscenely baggy. The inside is made of a cotton material and the outside is polyester, almost plastic feeling to the touch - something you might wear while exercising.

My favorite shirt though, that one had to be tossed recently because it was so tattered. It was an old Batman shirt, another piece of large clothing that was more comfort than practicality. It's been replaced by a giant Beatles shirt.

I also have this ugly powder blue robe I wander around in. I joke with my friend that I feel like Hugh Hefner, without the part about being surrounded by bimbos.

It's probably because I tend to wear tighter stuff when outside the house, as well as layers that can become cumbersome and irritating. When I don't have to worry about looking a certain way I just crawl into whatever's comfortable.
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

☆·•●☽~Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?~☾●•·☆
Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Intempestivity »

I've never been a slave to fashion.

One of my favourite cardigans is about four sizes too big and absolutely drowns me, but it's so warm and cozy.

And I have some lovely fuzzy boots that go halfway up my calves and the laces end in fuzzy pom poms. I like to wear them with leggings and a skirt. And an animal hat.

I also have a *lot* of animal hats. Kitty ears, bear faces, long rabbit ears ending in little pockets to stick my hands in. I know they're things that not a lot of people (particularly people my age) would be caught dead in, but they're me and I love them.

And I'm not ashamed to show the world these "uncool" clothes that I feel show who I am.
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Intempestivity wrote:I also have a *lot* of animal hats. Kitty ears, bear faces, long rabbit ears ending in little pockets to stick my hands in.
Someone else who loves animal hats! When we were in JC Penneys they had an entire line of them, even some odd ones like an owl and a panda and a cougar. Want, want, want! Some had matching scarves and mittens too!

My husband, whose real name is Fox, has a fox hat he was given for Christmas last year. He also has not one but two knit or crocheted 'fox' stoles which have little legs and even a a little face that fastens it by biting its own tail.

I can't afford to be fashionable, they don't make fashion for fat chicks, so I just decided to be comfortable and go my own way. Believe it or not, if worn correctly bloomers and corsets are far superior to modern underthings. So comfortable and supportive and they don't chafe!
Spoiler
This goes to hygiene supplies as well. I've been making my own sanitary napkins and holders because they don't make them large enough or absorbent enough for a big gal. No more ruined clothes, no more feeling like you're wearing a diaper, no more allergic reaction to the tape and adhesives and plastic they use in the store bought pads. Same for the under-belly towels I have to wear because my skin sags so. Far, far better to make one's own.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Wolfsister
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wolfsister »

I'm typically most comfortable in rather tight clothes (I blame the years of leotards and tights), so my 'comfy but not cool' is actually mostly things that I've outgrown but don't want to stop wearing. My clothes last forever, too--I have shirts from elementary school (that I used as nightgowns then) that I still wear around at home. I love to get out my old souvenir T-shirts especially, because I love them and they have good memories attached. The one thing that is oversized are my gym uniform shorts, basketball style, from junior high--I don't know how I didn't trip over them back then, considering that they still go down past my knees now and look like a skirt, but they are my absolute favorite pajama pants.

Outside of clothing, huge hair scrunchies will never leave my collection and I cannot function without my bulky plastic men's watch. It pretty much never comes off. Added to that, when I'm going to class I absolutely have to wear tennis shoes no matter what. No sandals or nice shoes unless I don't have class.

But my ultimate 'comfy but not cool' clothing is what I wear to lab. I have a collection of old shirts and pants from high school that are riddled with acid holes and interesting stains.

Edit: For 'lucky', my new Wheel of Time "Time to toss the dice" shirt is a must. I'm even making earrings of the six dice ter'angreal to go with it. It's just fun. And on bad days, I usually dress extra nice to cheer myself up before anything can actually go wrong.
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

For me, that would be over sized t shirts(which I mostly wear when I am painting or some other messy craft), old jeans (I have a paint stained, hole-in-the-knee pair that I also wear when painting), sweaters and sweat pants. Mainly the sweatpants though. >D

I love my warm sweatpants, they are comfy, loose fitting in the legs(unlike jeans), keep me warm in the winter/around campfire. I especially like wearing them during, that time of the month rather than my jeans because of the looseness Drives my mother batty when I wear sweatpants because, according to her, 'they look sloppy'.
Also, she keeps trying to convince me that they will keep me warmer than my jeans. This woman has evidently never walked the 15-20 minute walk I took to get to school(high school) when it is -20°C out there and is windy(making it much colder). In jeans, which are thinner and much closer to my skin, my legs were like popsicles by the time I got to school-freezing cold, and worse since they would have blowing snow clinging to them which melted once I got to school. In sweat pants, they were much warmer by the time I got to school (albeit still cold, but no where near as cold as when I was in jeans). She never believes me though cause, she's mom so apparently she knows more about fashion and clothes than I do.

My painting wear I only wear when painting and my sweatpants are mainly saved for camping and vacation, cause really, who expects you to dress nicely when you're staying in a cabin at the lake? I sure don't. The sweats don't usually come out till evening and when we're around the campfire, when it gets chilly.
Unfortunately I've out grown one pair of my sweatpants and my other got paint on it. :tard: I need some more.
quycksylver
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by quycksylver »

For me, comfort = pjs. If I'm not teaching or out in public, I'm almost always in pajamas. I live in Texas which is pretty warm year round, so I usually opt for lightweight cotton. When it does get cooler, I go for flannel or sweats. I think at this point I have more sets of pajamas than regular clothes. I adore them! :t-swoon:
Thank you for clicking!
ImageImageImageImage
Leania
CreaturesTrade

Post by Leania »

I love cotton pj's or something soft/thin and light. My mom says she hates it when I stay in my pj's all day because it seems like I don't care about myself. :srsly: I just love to be comfy, and being a stay at home mom, I don't have places to go. Hubby's got the car until 9 pm, and there's nothing to do around that time. Pj bottoms and tank tops/ spaghetti straps are my favorites. I love slippers, however I hardly wear them because I get conflicting temperatures on my feet. Cold feet but sweating makes me take my slippers off. Same thing with robes, they're comfy, but I get too hot.

However, if I'm in my room either alone or just the hubby, and have no fear of a 5 year old's intrusion, the I just go O' Natural. :D
garnetfenghuang
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by garnetfenghuang »

I LOVE wearing sweatpants and basketball shorts :tard: I am not athletic at ALL but athletic clothes are very very comfortable and can be worn anywhere (outside, to sleep) and can sometimes look quite good. If I'm not leaving the house/dorm I will most likely stay in my pajamas until I do. I cannot STAND how jeans feel on me and I think that, because of their riskiness when it comes to drying them, they change their size far too easily for me to bother with them, unless they are very stretchy and shorts.
Revan
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Revan »

quycksylver wrote:For me, comfort = pjs. If I'm not teaching or out in public, I'm almost always in pajamas.
This is me. I hate it though when I have people drop by expectantly and I'm in my pjs (which consist of sweatpants and an over sized t-shirt). They call me lazy. I call it being comfy. It's not all that comfortable sitting around in jeans all day when I'm not working.
Need hatchlings?
Come visit The Hatchery!

Free Lineages!

If you visit my Keep, beware. I hoard owls. I am not responsible for any pecked out eyeballs or loss of fingers that may occur.
Wishlist :orly:

Return to “Hall of Speakers”