Bug-Lover's Club

The place to converse with other members of a guild or club.
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Bug-Lover's Club

Post by Kestrad »

Ew, Japanese beetles. They used to mass in front of my house and eat my mom's grape plant until the poor thing only had fibers left instead of leaves. One landed on me when I was resting from roller blading once. I think I screamed and tried to run off, forgetting that I had roller blades on, and wiped out epically. XD

Looking back now, though, pesks that they were, they still had really pretty bodies. Irridescent green-bronze, if I remember correctly.

@Cass: That sounds terrible.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Byakugan01
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Byakugan01 »

Yup. You're forgetting the descriptor "hard" bodies. Those things were like little terminators-not sure our local spiders can even eat them. All I know is nothing was particularly suppressing their population until my grandfather put up a pheromone trap. By that point they had already devastated the rose bushes though. I think something's been released to deal with them though. Forget what-think it might have been some disease that affected them.
Image If you like Insects, arachnids or other invertebrates or just want to learn about them, join us!

Image <-Kearia guards my keep.
Piney
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by Piney »

I haven't even seen Japanese beetles until my ecology class last semester, when we went hiking around campus. I thought they were purdy but I didn't know they were invasive. And destructive. XD You know one bug I don't like though? June bugs. They get EVERYWHERE.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DeviantArt || Flight Rising || Avatar source
3DS friend code: 1607-2367-6983
If you message me I will register you. :3
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

Oh, we put up pheromone bags to get rid of them. They didn't work. :derp:

Then one year we were too lazy to put up the bags and they didn't come back after that. 0.o
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
DoomedDaphnia
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by DoomedDaphnia »

Cassowary wrote:
Guh, nothing quite like eating cereal and only finding out afterwards that it's got beetles in it. I can't eat miniwheats any more...
I think I would flip the table I was sitting at if that happened to me :derp:
Kestrad wrote:Oh, we put up pheromone bags to get rid of them. They didn't work. :derp:
We tried this one year and promptly stopped the next. They were smelly and nasty as hell if they broke :t-woo:
Piney wrote: You know one bug I don't like though? June bugs. They get EVERYWHERE.
I find them mildly irritating, but mostly because they have all the flying grace of cicadas
Byakugan01
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Byakugan01 »

Well, the bags my grandpa put up were not "nice" bags. they were "lure them in and then kill them deader than dead with chemicals" bags. Made them much more effective.

June bugs? I'd feed them to my spider if I wasn't scared of accidentally poisoning her with pesticides. We do get them inside the house sometimes, but never too many. I'd swear that they climb up the drains. Speaking of cicadas, I've only seen them once, and they were in a jar. They don't live on our property-none at all-or even around it, so I don't get to see what it's like to have those huge emergences. I envy those who do-it must look quite impressive.

Edit: Ah, we did not get Cass's creature...oh well.
Image If you like Insects, arachnids or other invertebrates or just want to learn about them, join us!

Padfootsmistress777
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Padfootsmistress777 »

We get cicadas but we hear them more then see them, we'll occasionally see their husks (?) And once in awhile a live one roaming around...
13/25 Presents, thank you!
You can click any unhidden/unprotected tab in my Keep ^-^~!

1,756/2000 Turtles

Paaaaaaancaaaaaakes!~
Art Creds in Profile

ImageImageImageImage
Cassowary
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Cassowary »

Blues couldn't make a description in time. Oh well ^_^

Lots of cicadas around here. The "husks" are the shed exoskeletons from their nymphal forms.

Whenever the Japanese beetles are out en masse I'm tempted to go out and see how many I can fit into a jar... or a bag... or just how many I can catch, overall. I wouldn't know what to do with them afterwards, though. Bug ornaments? :wat:
~ G I V E A W A Y ~
(once trades work...)
Byakugan01
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Byakugan01 »

If I were you, find a patch of wild rose and set them loose. Both are invasive, so it's win/win. Is it all possible to expect to see them in the future? The one you made as a regular stream creature, I mean.

That's the one thing I've ever found-the husks. And not here at home, but at a park at least 15 miles away. I used to try and collect the husks, but they disappeared for some reason...I have a hunch that they got thrown out by accident. I never have been the neatest with my "collections". How many different intervals of emergence are there for cicadas anyway? Only one I know offhand is the seventeen year one.
Last edited by Byakugan01 on February 14th, 2012, 3:52:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Padfootsmistress777
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Padfootsmistress777 »

I never collected cicada husks, I like listening to them...as long as I haven't just woken up X3

And I have no idea but the ones by me are around every year, so either every year is a 17 year interval for a group of cicada (which I guess isn't that impossible owo) or they just annually pop up :derp: Which is why when I first heard about the 17 year emergence I was like "huh? O.o but I see/hear them every year "

I've never seen any Japanese beetles (as far as I know owo) though at my old high school just about every Ag-related class room had a notice about them :yarly:

I actually found the husk of some bug...I think it was a beetle (there is no 'a' in beetle, we're not writing about the band here Padfoot), or maybe it was just dead *shrugs*, while on a class trip, on the way back to the school this chick flipped out, snatched it from my hand and tossed it out the window T_T
13/25 Presents, thank you!
You can click any unhidden/unprotected tab in my Keep ^-^~!

1,756/2000 Turtles

Paaaaaaancaaaaaakes!~
Art Creds in Profile

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Guilds Quarter”