Dark Pasts | Keep story | ch. 5 up | Crit please

This section is for any writing set in a world not of your own making, whether it is the Magistream world or any other.

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Dark Pasts | Keep story | ch. 5 up | Crit please

Post by PossessedFae »

EDIT: I LOVE critique. Do not be afraid to point something out or PM me about my story and what you think needs worked on.

Yes. Another Keep story. I blame Phoenixwildfire for the inspiration. :yarly:

Also, just to get this cleared up, while most of the characters and critters here will be from MS/MS based, some will not be. This is just a personal twist and it's something that I feel will give the main male character more depth and more of a tragic past.

AND if I ever stop posting for long periods of time, feel free to PM me and nag. :sadtard: I probably stopped 'cuz I'm lazy like that. I can also post the characters as they appear if people so desire. Also, sometimes I will tweak critter colors/appearances to suit me.

I may also use strong language.

EDIT: This is Consort - Link The artist is DarrkestDrow

List of Chunks
Chunk 1 -- this post
Chunk 2
Chunk 3
Chunk 4
Chunk 5

~~~

Consort soared over the Keep, his large black form causing some alarm amongst the smaller prey creatures. Despite the fact that Pegasuses were reputed to be sweet and gentle creatures, he was mean and nasty tempered, and wielded a sharp tongue. His master was the only person he was kind too, and even then just barely.
Lucian watched from his room in the Keep. He wished he could join his friend in flight. He hated being at the Keep. Too many formalities and human females. Of course, most everybody in the keep thought he was human, so the petty females that often gathered around him didn't know what they were doing to him when they flirted. He just wished he could go home his castle in the northern part of the Alasre Mountains.
But no, Archmage Thane was suspicious about the Dark Brotherhood and their connection to all the disappearances of some stupid travelers. Lucian thought, scowling. He knew who was killing the travelers, and it certainly wasn't the Dark Brotherhood.
Consort hovered in front of the window, the wind from his flapping ruffling Lucian's black hair. Consort's icy blue eyes looked at Lucian curiously. "Thane is here with the leader of the Brotherhood. You might want to go down to the waiting hall."
Sighing, Lucian left the window sill. Another long day of questioning. He knew who was killing all of the travelers, but he suspected Thane was just trying to get somebody to fess up. Tossing on his black robe, Lucian left the room and practically glided down the hallway to get down to the waiting hall.

Hazel raced out the stairs. Archmage Thane was here with the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, Doug. She will get him to fess for the crimes of the Dark Brotherhood. Her parents were victims of the killings, their lifeless bodies found on the trails, bloodless and horribly tortured or viciously ripped apart before they died. Hazel felt tears falling down her face as she entered the hallway... and collided with Lucian.
They both fell to the ground in a heap. Lucian struggled to sit up, holding his head and glaring at her with his dark indigo eye. She shivered slightly; Lucian always stuck her as slightly... off. Hazel glared back in turn, her tears forgotten. She hoped that he didn't notice her tears.
"Watch where you're walking next time!" She snapped, struggling to get up.
Hazel shivered again as she felt a cold wisp of air against her neck. "Maybe you should be more polite to your elders, little girl." Lucian hissed. "Or next time, all your pretty red hair will find itself on fire."
Hazel watched Lucian glide down the stairs, his pale, almost white skin seemingly absorbing all color from the torches and reflecting back. If she didn't know better, she would've swore that he wasn't human. She raced to catch up with him.
"It's not polite to threaten people like that Lucian. Besides, you can't be any older than I."
Lucian eyed the short human. She wore the green robes embroidered with brown, which meant she was strictly an earthmage. His black, markingless robes didn't mean anything to the other magi. Even those that dabbled in the dark arts marked their robes. He followed his own rules, and as such, he picked his own colors, even if nobody else could see them. He looked sober in contrast to her bright colors. His hair was black where her was red, her eyes a tawny yellow where his were dark. Even her skin was a beautiful tanned color. She infuriated him. He really wanted to take her to his castle and have his way with her. Her blood was bound to be delicious.
"I am far older than you might think, girl, you had better lighten up and be respectful." Lucian hissed. Hazel thought she saw fangs.

The pair reached the waiting hall at the same time. The Archmage and the elder mages of the keep were already there, waiting for them. Hazel was the strongest Earthmage in the keep and was personally wounded by the killings, which were the only reasons why she was allowed to these meetings. Lucian was mostly an enigma to the other magi, but most of them knew of his tendencies to use sorcerers' magic, despite the fact he was a certified mage.
"Ah, here you are!" Thane said. "We were beginning to wonder if we needed to send somebody up. Let's get started."
Lucian and Hazel sat with the other magi, facing the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, Doug. He was tall and pale with fair hair and sharp eyes.
"Doug," Thane started, "What do you know of the killings?"
"Only that the Dark Brotherhood is accused of doing them, and that they tend to happen near Arkene." Doug relied frostily. This wasn't the first time he was brought here. "And, as I keep telling you, it is not I or the Brotherhood that is doing them."
The debate went on for several hours, Hazel the loudest voice. Lucian looked bored as he sat in his chair. He rarely spoke at these debates, nor did he particularly care for them.
"You know," he started, his icy voice silencing the debate, "Doug obviously doesn't know anything about the killings. Just please send him on his way and figure out something else to try and find the killer. These debates are old and wearisome, and unlike the rest of you apparently, I have a large amount of creatures at home that demand my attention." He stood up to leave, fed up with the debates. He was going to leave whether Thane liked it or not.
Thane glared at him. "Well, Master Lucian, what do you have in mind?"
"Send some magi up there where the killings happen most often. I'm sure that they'll be able to figure out what's going on." Lucian said.
Thane thought about it. "Fine. You can go, as well as somebody else."
Lucian whirled around. "What?" He demanded, shocked.
"Your keep isn't that far away, so you'll be able to do whatever it is you need to do and help find the killers as well." Thane said reasonably. "Surely it won't kill you to do it. I'll even lend you one of the magi here to help. Who wants to go?" he said to the crowd in the room.
Nobody volunteered right away. Hazel slowly stood up. "I will go, Archmage." Her eyes flat. "I will find the ones who killed my parents."
Doug also spoke up, much to the surprise of everyone. "I will also send my son, Kaden, with. He would like to find the one who killed his mother."
Hazel and the other magi stared in surprise at Doug.
"You didn't tell us that," Thane said mildly.
"You never gave me the chance," Doug said dryly.
Lucian hissed in displeasure. He hated strangers in his home, and it was going to be hard to keep his human form for much longer.
"Fine. But they will be the only ones allowed to come with." Lucian glared at everybody in the room. "You have one hour to pack and pick which critters you wish to bring. Make sure you pack warm clothing." Lucian stomped out of the room.

Hazel glared after Lucian. Bastard. She left the waiting hall and ran to her room, leaving the other magi breaking up to go about their studies. Reaching her room, she flung open the door and stomped in. Silver chirped at her friend curiously. The gryphon's feathers were a deep, glossy black. Her name came from the fact that her fur was an unusual silver color.
"Silver, we're going to go with Lucian to find out who killed mama and papa." Her voice choked, and the held back tears from earlier came flooding out. Silver padded over to her human, embracing her with her wings. Hazel sniffled, the tears still flowing. "Please help me pack, Silver. We're leaving within the hour."

Doug walked outside the keep to the little camp that his followers had hurriedly set up. A gray blob detached itself from the group to race to him. On it was perched his son, Kaden. Doug raised his hand in a waved, which Kaden gladly returned. Kaden's Tevera enox halted before Doug, pawing wildly at the ground and almost bucking off his young rider. Kaden politely refused to get bucked off.
Doug looked at his son. Kaden possessed the strong, sharp features of his mother, as well as her sky blue eyes and rich brown hair. Kaden was lithe and tall, and he reminded Doug so much of a wild cat.
"Kaden, go pack up your belongings. In an hour you and Red are leaving with Lucian and Earthmage Hazel to hunt down the killers."
Kaden's eyes flashed eagerly. "Yes, father." He wheeled Red around and galloped to the camp, eager to pack. He had waited for this chance, and he certainly wasn't going to pass it up.

Note: Thane, I hope you don't mind the fact that you are a character in my story. XD
Note 2: Wanna be a character here? Don't be afraid to ask. ^^
Last edited by PossessedFae on February 2nd, 2011, 12:21:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I have a lot of butterflies. :derp:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Phoenixwildfire
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Dark Pasts:Nother keep story - ch. 1 up

Post by Phoenixwildfire »

Love it so far- Lucian is an interesting character :3 It's good to have a male character be the main persona of a keep story

has anyone ever noticed that the top Brotherhood guys all have names that start with D?

The main guy is Doug, Demetre is my top guy, and then there's Dustin who tried to kill Rynu...

:lol:
PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PossessedFae »

I named mine Doug after a camera man in Dirty Jobs. XD He was always fitting into places humans shouldn't fit, so I thought it would be a proper name for the leader of the Brotherhood. :lol:
Phoenixwildfire
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Phoenixwildfire »

LOL I know that guy! XD

Demetre is named so because of a movie where that was the name of the bad guy.

And Demetre is VERY VERY bad.
PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PossessedFae »

You are the first person outside of my family I have met that has watched that show. XD

Chunk 2
Note: The third chunk is slightly gruesome at the end.

The sun was beginning to sink behind the mountains when Hazel and Kaden gathered near the main entrance of the Keep. They regarded each other like snakes would to mice. Red and Silver carefully touched noses with each other.
"I'm Kaden," Kaden said, holding his hand out to Hazel.
"Hazel," she said curtly, taking the hand.
"Now that we have introduced ourselves, shall we get going?" a strange voice said. Hazel turned and sow nothing but a strangely marked black Pegasus. It's sleek body seemed to be covered with a multitude of stars, and it's flank bore a shining crescent moon.
"I didn't know you could talk!" Hazel said, amazed.
Consort curled his lips at her, but before he could speak, Lucian walked out of the keep. "Consort, be nice. You can snap at them all you want when we get home." Consort flattened his ears but obeyed.
Kaden and Hazel stared at Lucian. He had never seen the mage before. Black raven's hair contrasted starkly with almost white skin. Lucian had dismissed his mage's robe for tight-fitting, dark leather clothing, which was obviously designed for flight. It also showed off pretty much his entire body in a level of detail that most men weren't comfortable with displaying; Hazel tried hard not to blush.
Mounting Consort, Lucian turned to the group. "Follow me very closely. I am not coming to find you if you get lost. There are many things in the mountains that think you would taste just lovely.

Hazel struggled to keep her eyes open. It was bitterly cold up here in the north, and the moon was high up in the sky. It took all of Silver's strength to even stay up in the air. Looking around, Hazel could see that Kaden and Red were having difficulties as well. The young tevera was brave, but she could see the sweat that was constantly melting and freezing and the white froth forming at his mouth.
Suddenly, Lucian flew between the two, an orb of white light floating above him. Follow me and be careful. My rocs aren't particularly fond of visitors.
Kaden could see a large, unatural shape framed against the night sky. It was surrounded by what appeared to be a frozen dotted lake by islands. The valley was huge. When did they fly over the mountains? he wondered tiredly.
Red and Silver followed Consort, who had landed in front of what appeared to be a stable. It was dimly lit inside. Lucian opened the door and beckoned every one inside. Hazel and Kaden widened their eyes in awe. What appeared to be a stable from the outside was actually a large cavern lake filled to the brim with hippocampus and leviathans. Thousands of eyes stared back. Silver and Red followed Consort to large heaps of straw, where they hurriedly curled up and went to sleep.
"If you want to sleep in a bed," Lucian said dryly, "You might want to follow me." The two younger magi hurried after Lucian, who was rapidly disappearing into a side tunnel that led to the castle.
When they reached they castle, the younger magi regretted leaving the cavern. It was colder in there than it was outside. Lucian didn't seem to mind.
"I only have one guest room made up, so you'll have to share it tonight." Lucian started. "I don't really have guests, so I don't bother keeping any of the other rooms ready for guests." His face went stern. "I don't want to see anybody wandering around in my home, you hear?"
Hazel couldn't believe her ears. "We have to share?" She glanced over at Kaden. "No offense, but that isn't proper."
Lucian rolled his eyes. "I have another suggestion, but I don't think you would like that one any better." He said dryly. "Look, you can either go and sleep with Silver and Red or share with him. I don't want to try and deal with any wards this late at night. Just follow the red orbs to the bedroom." With that said, Lucian disappeared down a dark hallway.
Hazel glared after him. "Bastard." She stomped after the reds orbs to the bedroom, Kaden following more slowly after he. He was exasperated. What was she afraid of? It was only one night.
When they reached the room, both of them stared at it for a few moments. It looked like any room in any wealthy in; it even had separated beds. A fire was burning cheerily in a fire place, making the room nice and toasty. A large window framed the full moon.
"Well, Lucian knows how to make the Keep look shabby." Kaden remarked before plopping his tall frame on a bed. "Nighties."
Hazel watched as Kaden fell instantly asleep on the bed, fully clothed, before crawling into hers. She was too tired to care at this point.

Lucian opened the door to the cellar, the warm, delicious scent of blood assailing his nostrils. A small whimper filtered through the darkness.
Just one more feeding, and I'll be able to keep this form until I get rid of those pesky younglings. Lucian thought as he walked through the darkness. This spell won't hold up much longer.
Lucian entered the chamber where he bled out his victims. He only had one, and that one had barely enough left in it to sustain the spell. Lucian hated the fact that he had to depend on humans to keep himself alive and his magic strong. If he had been born just days later, the gods could've considered him a Wood Knight, healers and defenders of the forest. They didn't even have their feelings taught to them. But the Fates decided he was better off a fairy belonging to the House of Shadows.
Lucian's hunter's instincts took over at the prospect of a meal. His human form cast aside, his pale skin bore tribal tattoos dancing around. A dark green crescent appeared under his left eye, which had turned a violent purple. His hands bore sharp claws, and his teeth sharpened into points. A pair of glassy, iridescent wings sprouted from his back.
The human that had the misfortune to be caught attempted to scream despite the lack of vocal chords as Lucian sank his teeth into it's neck.

Hazel woke up to find a young jackalope sleeping on her chest. Carefully picking it up, she saw that Kaden was draped with them as he snored away. She stifled a giggle. A knock made itself heard on the door.
"You awake? I have breakfast." Lucian called.
"Come on in," Hazel said, gently placing the baby jackalope on her bed. Lucian opened the door, carry a tray in one hand and a cloth sack in the other. All of the jackalopes immediately dashed over to Lucian, attempting to get at the cloth sack.
"Hold on, bunnies, I need to set the tray down!" Lucian said, trying not to trip on any of the jackalopes.
"I thought this was a room that you kept for guests," Hazel teased.
Lucian glared at her. "They get cold, okay? They don't like being any where else during the winter." Lucian set the tray on the table and the proceeded to open the back and hand out carrots to the waiting mouths.
Kaden sat up and yawned before he realized Lucian was in the room. "Where are we going to start looking for the killers?" he queried.
"Somewhere." Lucian said simply, ruffling a jackalope's ears. "I have some stuff to do first. Go explore the lake or something. Go visit my library. Just leave me be and don't try going anywhere in my castle that isn't here or the library. I have spells and stuff lying around that I haven't gotten around to sorting out."

Mrr, I'll write the next part later. I don't feel like making the post any longer. XD
PaleoMage
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: Dark Pasts:Nother keep story - ch. 2 up

Post by PaleoMage »

So Lucian's NOT a vampire...
I also have a somewhat far-fetched idea of who the killer is.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sale Tab | Free Tab
Always buying Ambula bats at 300g each!
PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PossessedFae »

PaleoMage wrote:So Lucian's NOT a vampire...
I also have a somewhat far-fetched idea of who the killer is.
Why don't you guess? :lol:
Fennir
CreaturesTrade

Post by Fennir »

Very Nicely written, I can't wait to find out the next portion of the story! :wave:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PossessedFae »

Thanks for posting. I'm glad you like it. ^^

Chunk 3

Kaden stood up and stretched, heading for the tray of food. Breakfast consisted of fruit jams and bread. "GOt any meat, Lucian? This here isn't going to fill anybody up."
Lucian glared at him. "No meat while you're in the castle. You want meat? Go down to the forest and kill something."
The two men glared at each other while Hazel helped herself to the food. Lucian, done feeding his jackalopes, left the room quietly, leaving Kaden to mutter angrily at himself before he too began eating.
"I didn't know he didn't like meat." Hazel said. "He seems like someone who would gladly rip open a chunk of meat and eat it."
Done with her bread, Hazel headed for the door. "I'm going down to the library."
Kaden nodded. "I'm going to go visit Red and make sure he's okay. He had a rough time last night."

Kaden shivered as he walked down the castle halls. Why was it so bitterly cold in here? It felt like a tomb. An enchanted tomb. He shivered again as he walked past yet another spell. The whole castle felt evil. The tunnel was only slightly warmer.
The cavern greeted him with it's moist warmth and the smell of many animals. Red was down at the lake, wings and tail droopy as he tiredly greeted some baby hippocmapus. Silver looked slightly better even though she was still curled upon the straw. Consort was no where to be seen.
That creepy horse didn't even look winded. Kaden thought as he made his was down to the shore. The hippocampi nickered at him in a friendly way, splashing in the water. Kaden smiled at their antics. How could such cheerful critters live with Lucian?
Red squealed happily, rushing to his master in happiness. "Hey Red, wanna go explore the lake outside?" Red pawed the ground, forgetting his tiredness momentarily. The outside world was windy and cold. Kaden didn't regret his decision. He wanted to know the land around him and get a head start on searching for the killers. The lake was framed by dark mountains and eerily silent forests.
"Let's go this way," Kaden told read, heading for the shore. It seemed to lead to somewhere where they could look for an easy way out of the valley. Red trotted after him.
The forest had a thick layer of snow on the ground, despite the fact that the trees were so thickly woven together that they blocked out all the light. Kaden rubbed his hands together and regretted not learning a few simple fire spells. He and Red wandered aimlessly around for a little while, exploring the forest as best they could in the deep snow.
Suddenly, much to the surprise of the pair, they stumbled into a clearing, suspiciously relatively clean of snow. They looked around in amazement. It was a village.
"Who do you think lived here, Red?" Kaden said, sharp eyes taking stock of the village. Most of the buildings seemed to be made from stone. It didn't look like it had been abandoned long. Opening the door to a nearby house, Kaden found bowls and cups left on the table, some with some foul liquids left in them. Blankets and clothes were scattered around.
"It looks like somebody left in a hurry," Kaden said, wondering what happened. "I wonder if Lucian knows anything about this place. Do you think you are rested enough to fly?"
Red nodded his head in agreement.
"Then let's go. I think Lucian is hiding something from the Keep."
Consort watched from the shadows from a nearby building, his black wolf's coat blending into the darkness. That pair was too curious for their own good.

Hazel wandered through the huge library. She couldn't believe the amount of books that Lucian had. She saw books from the most basic of stories to books dedicated to spells, and all of them organized by subject and then alphabetically. She was more impressed by the fact that despite the frost covering every single inch of the library, nothing seemed to be damaged. Reaching an aisle, she contemplated where to go next when a flash caught her eye. Turning, she let out a startled shriek. What appeared to be a transparent child stood in front of her.
The ghost looked at Hazel with it's wide eyes. "I'm sorry I frightened you. I just wanted to ask you if you needed help looking for something. Master Lucian's library can be daunting for those that don't know what they're looking for."
"W-wait? Master?" Hazel stammered, curiosity aroused despite the fact that she was terrified.
"Master Lucian saved my soul from a demon, so in turn I serve him, even though he doesn't want me too."
Hazel was confused. "Well, do you know of a place that I can sit down to write some things down?"
The ghost nodded and then flitted down the aisle, Hazel hurrying behind her. They soon reached a hollow in the wall, large enough for a small study. Hazel gazed around in interest. Books littered the few tables in the room, and parchments covered with writing were scattered around the room. A suit of black armor stood dejectedly in the corner, what little decoration it had on his unpolished and tattered looking. A massive sword stood in the same corner, it's slightly purple, unnaturally slim blade covered with dark runes and tribal markings. It emanated a sad aura. A pile covered with dusty cloth stood in the opposite corner.
"This is Lucian's personal study. Try not to disturb too much of anything, or he'll be angry." the ghost said in her whispery voice before flitting away.
Hazel went over to the desk in the back of the room, shuffling through the papers on it. What appeared to be runes were scribbled crazily across the papers. She idly wondered what language it was when she turned her attention to a table full of books. From what she could tell, they were just books about spells and herbs, and were filled with many strange plants and drawings. She considered the cloth pile. Reaching out she grabbed the cloth and whipped it away, and gasped in surprise.
The pile consisted of paintings.
Kneeling beside the pile, Hazel picked up a strange painting. It was a portrait of a woman and a man. The mon looked remarkably like Lucian, but his eyes were the wrong color and his skin was covered with tattoos. What disturbed Hazel was the woman. The woman's hair was a bright green and her eyes a flaming red color. She looked kind as she gazed devotedly at the man.
Why would Lucian have such a strange picture? Hazel wondered before turning her attention back to the pile. She picked up a strange necklace. It had a silver chain, almost black from oxidation. A locket hung from it. Opening it, Hazel saw the strange woman in it, as well as some children on the opposite side.
"Just what do you think you are doing?"
Hazel leaped up and whirled around to find Lucian standing behind her, his face filled with anger. "I wanted to write a letter..."
"That was not what it looked like you were doing, little girl." Lucian growled, stomping towards and ripping the locket from her to tuck into a pocket. "Leave NOW." He hissed.
Hazel stood her ground. "Who were those people?"
Lucian hissed at her. "No one of any importance to you." He grabbed Hazel's hair and pulled her close to him, catching her by surprise. "Some very bad things will happen to you if you don't start listening to what I tell you. And I assure, I will be the only one to thoroughly enjoy it." And with that Lucian kissed Hazel.
Hazel stood shocked, horrified as Lucian kissed her. She understood his message clearly, yet she did not want to pull away. Lucian laughed deep in his throat before pulling away.
"Now leave, little girl." Lucian said, watching in amusement as Hazel fled, her face red.

Kaden rushed into the castle, Red and Silver close behind him. "Hazel? Lucian? Where are you?" He shouted.
Kaden opened the door to the guest room, finding Hazel furiously glaring at the fire, arms crossed in front of her. The jackalopes were curled up near her chair, sleeping.
"Hazel, what's wrong?" Kaden asked.
"Lucian's a bastard and should be castrated." Hazel said curtly.
Kaden's eyes widened. "What did he do to you?"
"Nothing." Hazel muttered. But he did imply that he would do something.
Kaden rolled his eyes. "Then do you know where he is? I have some questions to ask him. I think there's something going on."
Hazel looked at Kaden, anger temporarily forgotten. "What?"
"There's an abandoned village on the shore, and it looks like it hasn't been abandoned long."
"It's only been abandoned for a few years," Lucian said, startling everyone in the room. "I don't know why everybody left. All I know is that one day my castle was being invaded by children, and then the next day everyone was gone." Lucian's voice was filled with regret.
PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Dark Pasts: Nother keep story - ch. 3 up

Post by PossessedFae »

You know people, I like it when you post and comment and/or crit my writing. :tard:

Chunk 4

Consort ran through the forest, delighting in cold, brisk air. He too had no idea why the village was gone, but he had a sneaking suspicion that the village didn't leave of their own free will. The whole village reeked of magic when it was first deserted, a detail Lucian had failed to notice through his despair. Lucian no longer delighted in killing for fun or magic - he much preferred to keep his magic strong through sex, a resource the village women were all too happy to supply.
The snow reflected the sun's light sharply, causing a slight pain in Consort's eyes. Wincing, he shifted back to being a pegasus and took flight. He had business to attend to before the young mages led his master astray.

"How do you not notice an entire village disappearing?" Kaden asked, astounded.
"I was kind of busy at the time," Lucian said dryly. Hazel glared at him, causing Lucian to roll his eyes in exasperation.
"I have no idea what would've made them leave. I've protected that village ever since I came here." Lucian said. "I have no idea as to why they would've left."
"I can't imagine why." Hazel muttered under her breath.
"Protected them from what?" Kaden asked.
Lucian shrugged. "The usual. Ghosts, dragons, disease. Stuff like that. Buts what's gone is gone, so might as well forget about it. We have people dying, and we need to find out who did it." And with that, Lucian left the room.
"He's concerned about the villagers." Kaden remarked, surprised.
Hazel snorted in disbelief. "I doubt it. The man only cares about himself."
Kaden glared at Hazel. How dare she contradict him. "Look, mage, I know what he felt. It's one of my specialties. Do not tell me what you think you know about other people's emotions."
Kaden stomped out of the room. He did not like it when people contradicted him. Hazel rolled her eyes in exasperation. Men were such mysteries to her.

Consort landed just in front of a cave, it's black maw unfriendly. It seemed to breath the very essence of coldness as Consort walked in, shivering and soon consumed by an unending darkness that seemed to reject all light. He hoped that the King* had calmed since he had fist sen Lucian to this world. Consort really needed Lucian saner again; Consort promised Lucian's parents that he would take care of him. The only way to do that since Lucian's wife betrayed him was to get the King to supply Lucian with his magic, and therefore Lucian wouldn't have to hurt himself to keep himself alive.
Consort felt a tingle run across his skin. Before he could react, what seemed to be a million claws ripped into his flesh and held him in place. Trembling, Consort saw the silver half-mask that meant that Ishmekial was here. Things seemed to brighten up. Ishmekial was always kinder and more open than Tristan.
"Your Highness, I need to ask a favor," Consort began.
"I am not allowed to meddle with mortal affairs," Ishmekial said, his unearthly voice like the most beautiful music to Consort's, like mother's comforting voice when her child was dying painfully. "I cannot open the River to Lucian."
"But he isn't considered to be part of mortal affairs anymore!" Consort protested.
The silver mask cocked itself to the side, it's molded eyes dead and soulless. Consort trembled violently as he bled out. If not for his frozen blood or Ishmekial's magic, he would've collapsed.
"I am sorry, Consort, but I cannot meddle with mortal affairs." The mask disappeared, and so did the magic.
Consort collapsed on the ground, his skin burning with cold and pain. He wished he was able to die as blood continued to dribble out oh his wounds. He knew Ishmekial didn't mean to hurt him, but Death was never a force that could be weakened. Taking a deep, bitterly cold breath, Consort some how managed to stand up and walk out of the cave. It felt like a summer's day out of the cave.
Finding a relatively sheltered spot under a tree, Consort lay down painfully to heal and consider the king's words. Mortal affairs? Lucian could no longer be considered mortal since he was a carrier of Tristan's soul. Unless... Unless Ishmekial was talking about those pesky humans that Lucian was being forced to live with. Consort flattened his ears against his head and bared his teeth. He would have to kill them.

*The king comes from another story, and the history/story behind him will not be build upon much. Just know that he is god, and that Ishmekial and Tristan are sorta the same person. I am not going to explain Tristan/Ishmekial because that's a whole story of itself and that won't be posted publicly even though that story happens before this one.
Last edited by PossessedFae on January 5th, 2011, 1:41:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Den”