Creature #1388 Haitu | Midmonth Donatationpet

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Creature #1388 Haitu | Midmonth Donatationpet

Post by Kestrad »

Moon487 wrote:Feeling a lot more confident in my second guess with that hint! It’s to do with this line of text here:
Keep folklore has it that one researcher placed twelve tracking spells on her haitu, each more advanced than the last, in the hopes of figuring out where it disappeared to underwater, only for each spell to flicker out, one after the other, at which point the haitu reappeared in her room.
I think it’s referencing the Brothers Grimm fairy tale, “The Sea-Hare.” The story talks about a princess with a tower that had 12 windows, which essentially let her find stuff/people, and each window was stronger than the previous (ie the tracking spells). In the story, due to a challenge from the princess to evade her window’s ability to the point it was impossible to find him, a man ended up disguising himself as a sea-hare to get into her tower/room.

Link to the story here: https://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm_f ... e_sea-hare
Yes! Haitu translates roughly to sea hare, which it turns out is a name for a type of sea slug which releases purple ink when threatened, some varieties of which can be really pretty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaspidea

Hence the bit in the description about them possibly transforming while underwater. I didn't even think about how it might sound like the selkie myth!

Anyway, well done! I'll send over your haitu as soon as it hatches <3
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Moon487
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Re: Creature #1388 Haitu | Midmonth Donatationpet

Post by Moon487 »

Thank you! That was also very fun so thanks for doing that contest <3
Thank you for the gifts <3

Return to “Community Discussion”