PhazonDragon's Entry: The Skin-Walker [Crits plz?]

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
PhazonDragon
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

PhazonDragon's Entry: The Skin-Walker [Crits plz?]

Post by PhazonDragon »

Skin-Walkers
General Information and a Description
An odd race of creatures, these wolf-like beasts have been cursed for as long as anyone can remember. They are generally not the favorite creature of many people, and tend to be avoided. Their true form resembles a large wolf in shape and structure. It is very possible for them to come in a striking array of colors, but most have dark-colored fur with navy blue or dark red tips. Though they have yellow eyes, many are born blind and remain blind for the rest of their lives. This has led to an increase in their sense of smell and hearing. Perhaps the most interesting fact of these creatures is the fact that the name "Skin-Walker" is a derogatory term that has stuck over the years. The name "Skin-Walker" comes from the cursed form these beasts transform into during the day: a bipedal lanky humanoid figure with pale, wrinkly, and hairless skin. Their humanoid legs are similar to that of animals, which forces them to walk hunched over to keep themselves from falling. Even with a more human-like shape, Skin-Walkers cannot form words, and the best thay they may be able to manage would be nothing short of a gurgling growl. Their true name has been lost to the passing of time.

Skin-Walkers, as mentioned before, resemble large wolves. They have a thick, stout frame that mirrors a bear's, but their fur, tail, skull, and other outlying details imitate that of wolves. Skin-Walkers run on broad, wide-set paws that make them, while heavy, sure in their footing. Adults take on this bear-wolf appearance, while the hatchlings look more like young wolves. For each stage, fur tends to be a dark brown or nearly black gray. Either navy blue or maroon fur line the tips of their pelt, giving them an odd "aura"-type outline when seen in the moonlight. A row a sharp, yellowed teeth line both jaws of adults. In cursed form, the Skin-Walker's fur becomes white and pale, much like their naked, wrinkly skin. They stand up on two legs, with their hind legs staying more animal in structure, but becoming elongated and humanoid. Because of the animal structure of their legs, Skin-Walkers have a hunched-over posture. Their snout flattens into their face, but they keep the sharpness of their teeth. While they may resemble humans from a distance, it's easy to distinguish them via communication. Skin-Walkers do not have as developed vocal cords, and thus they can only speak in growls and snarls.

The eggs are a simple dark brown in color, a plain gradient. They are somewhat heavy, but not so much that people would automatically pick up on it. A tuft of dark fur, near the color of navy blue, is sticking out of the top, in a fashion that is similar to a mohawk. During the day, it does not change at all.

The hatchlings are like differently colored direwolves. They act and play like normal wolves, not yet aware of their... predicament. As they grow, their bone structure becomes more sturdy and bear-like, starting to resemble the adult's bone structure. The hatchling's fur, from birth, is already like it's parents, and will continue to stay the same. During the day, they change into scrawny, human child-like beings. Though they might not take much note of it now, as they grow older, their resemblance to a human child becomes less and less until they reach adulthood.

Egg Description
This egg has a tuft of navy blue fur sticking out of it.

Hatchling Description
This hatchling resembles a dark-furred young direwolf, but during the day it takes on a sickly, scrawny shape.

Adult Description
The young wolf-like beast has an odd trait--during the day, it changes into an ugly humanoid-like creature. People tend to shy away from it, but having been raised by a mage, it doesn't attack humans or other animals like a wild Skin-Walker would. Instead, it hides mostly during the day, and you have a hard time of finding it. Only at night, when it's back in it's true form, does it hunt and otherwise prowl about.

---
Notes
They are meant to be a sort of reverse werewolf.. And I was flipping through some Native American lore and information, and came across the term "skin-walker", which refers to a person who has the ability to change into an animal. I liked it, and I think it fits as a derogatory name for this relatively disliked creature.

I aimed to create not a creature that people would like for it's appearance or description, but instead a creature that, in general, people would dislike. :3 I don't think it worked, since I rather like them myself, and if I don't win this contest, I'll use this race for roleplays. XD I don't even expect to win, but I'm doing this for fun.

Yes, they were inspired by Ursula Le Guin's A Wife's Story. :3 Props to you if you've read it.
Last edited by PhazonDragon on September 16th, 2009, 8:55:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PhazonDragon
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: PhazonDragon's Entry: The Skin-Walker, possibly others

Post by PhazonDragon »

Bump and a reserved post, just in case. .___.
>_> But mostly a reserved post.
helsinkivampiress
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: PhazonDragon's Entry: The Skin-Walker [Crits plz?]

Post by helsinkivampiress »

Being part Native American myself I've heard of skin-walkers before, definitely something I'd like to see. Though, aren't skin-walkers able to turn into any animal? Not that it matters, I love wolves and wolf-like critters ^_^
PhazonDragon
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PhazonDragon »

Yes, skin-walkers in the Native American sense would be able to turn into any animal, however all I've done is used the term as a name for these creatures. In fact, they were originally named "Reverse Werewolves" until I did some research on werewolves, and a ton of link-hopping to eventually land on a Native American page.. Somehow. I really don't remember, but I think I was just getting interested in the information there.

And lo and behold, I stumble upon "skin-walker" and felt it would work as a sort of insult to this creature. :3

I imagine it came about because people saw these beasts' cursed form during the day, and possibly followed them until nightfall, where they changed into their true forms, thus the term skin-walker comes about. So yes, some Native American influence there. XD
helsinkivampiress
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by helsinkivampiress »

Ah, that's interesting. I never did much research into them, just know some of the stories. These would be another good creature to release around Halloween (thought that about another entry I saw recently). I love the spooky critters though so its all good XD
PhazonDragon
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PhazonDragon »

Thank you! :3

And since I decided to scrap all sketches that I had drawn of this guy, I have nothing to scan. I'll add in a description of their appearance instead. ;)
DragonflyFae
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by DragonflyFae »

Very interesting creature entry! Well done.

o.O ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PhazonDragon
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by PhazonDragon »

Thank you! :)

Appearance added. I believe I covered everything that I wanted to.. If anything is missing or someone thinks I should add something, please don't hesitate to say so. :D

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”