Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Learn about the latest updates here.
audrei9
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Re: Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Post by audrei9 »

Kestrad wrote: December 11th, 2023, 3:21:37 am
Munin wrote: December 11th, 2023, 3:14:55 am
audrei9 wrote: December 10th, 2023, 8:41:28 pm Oh thank GOD because I've been doing that!

Wait... if that's the case, then why aren't people posting in the forums or something? AFAIK then keeping a diary in the forums is a more efficient way of getting gold than clicking eggs
The amount of gold you gain by posting is limited. The more you post, the less you earn, so just posting for gold on the forums is not the way to go. It is a nice addon for communicating with others but not designed as a primary source of income
Also, if someone is clearly just posting useless things for the sake of earning gold rather than for interaction, there is a good chance they'll get banned for spamming. There is no subforum on this site for keeping a diary.
:(
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by LunatheDragoness »

Okay I'm so confused
We can snaplink on click threads. Eggs, Hatchlings, and Adults
But we can't use IFN?
But some say we can if we don't open a bunch of links at once? :t-woo:
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

LunatheDragoness wrote: December 11th, 2023, 5:32:44 pm Okay I'm so confused
But we can't use IFN?
I think I understand why you're confused now, sorry. You can snaplinks the IFN, since that's full of creatures people want to grow. If some of the creatures there are already adults, that's fine and no one will be mad at you. The other image free mines, like Tinni's, filled with adult creatures that people would use snaplinks on for the sole purpose of goldmining, is what's now banned.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Kestrad wrote: December 11th, 2023, 5:37:37 pm
LunatheDragoness wrote: December 11th, 2023, 5:32:44 pm Okay I'm so confused
But we can't use IFN?
I think I understand why you're confused now, sorry. You can snaplinks the IFN, since that's full of creatures people want to grow. If some of the creatures there are already adults, that's fine and no one will be mad at you. The other image free mines, like Tinni's, filled with adult creatures that people would use snaplinks on for the sole purpose of goldmining, is what's now banned.
Okay now I understand.
I just did 200 links on Tinni's so please don't ban me. I was confused.
falsanthin
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by falsanthin »

Also kind of want to clarify is it just the mass opening of ADULT creatures thats pinging up as goldmining? or just opening a large number of tabs all at once in general?

Other people have mentioned you don't get the crafting items from the black market bags if we already have the max amount of them so i was planning on clicking on a bunch of crystalwings to stock up on materials but i kind of don't want to do that if mass clicking them is just going to end up getting me flagged for goldmining or if i would be safe say opening like 20-30 at a time regardless of if they are adult creatures or not

EDIT: Disregard that question. For some reason i thought the crafting item cap was 999 not 255 so i was pretty much already full :lol:

And on that note how many would be considered too many then? generally my laptop can only open like 150-200 at the most with snaplinks without trying to self implode :) lately i've been trying to stick to 30-50 links (or 1 page of growing creatures on a click thread) so is that already considered too many at once or are we talking like 1000's+ being the issue
LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Forgive me but I totally forgot, frozen creatures don't grant any gold correct?
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by BBkat »

LunatheDragoness wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:19:51 pm Forgive me but I totally forgot, frozen creatures don't grant any gold correct?
They do not.
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

falsanthin wrote: December 11th, 2023, 8:35:21 pm Also kind of want to clarify is it just the mass opening of ADULT creatures thats pinging up as goldmining? or just opening a large number of tabs all at once in general?

Other people have mentioned you don't get the crafting items from the black market bags if we already have the max amount of them so i was planning on clicking on a bunch of crystalwings to stock up on materials but i kind of don't want to do that if mass clicking them is just going to end up getting me flagged for goldmining or if i would be safe say opening like 20-30 at a time regardless of if they are adult creatures or not

EDIT: Disregard that question. For some reason i thought the crafting item cap was 999 not 255 so i was pretty much already full :lol:

And on that note how many would be considered too many then? generally my laptop can only open like 150-200 at the most with snaplinks without trying to self implode :) lately i've been trying to stick to 30-50 links (or 1 page of growing creatures on a click thread) so is that already considered too many at once or are we talking like 1000's+ being the issue
My impression is that it was more the thousands of links being opened at a time constantly that was the main issue, though we'd have to ask Rosehill to confirm.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Seabra
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Seabra »

Are we allowed to click on creatures in our own keep for gold? Like 10/20 at a time?

FEEL FREE TO MINE MY KEEP!
*My Pixel Art Shop* (Closed)

ImageImage
Wishlist

kunigund
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by kunigund »

Since 3 months (date of this thread) we know that gold mining (= massively open creature links, usually adults) causes lag and errors, probably since many years (which, in turn, also caused the number active users to drop significantly) and it is now forbidden. In these three months, however, there were still some severe server problems (cloudflare errors, mysql errors), luckily they never lasted as long as prior to the updates/new rule. Still, it's annoying, even though I don't know if the recent ones were related to gold mining or something else.

I just checked, clicking an adult creature still gives me gold. I simply do not understand why it is still possible and not deactivated to remove it from the potential list of culprits.

Why is gold for clicking adults not set to zero and end of story?
  • When something is possible (clicking adults gives gold) even though it is forbidden (some) people will do it (perhaps at lower rates to not raise any attention) because their own benefit is more important than the well being of the (rather anonymous) community.
  • Users who still gold mine (and not use the forums or use the forums but choose to ignore the order) would figure out quickly that clicking adults/gold mining is pointless.
  • Rosehill mentioned[1] (see quote below) that gold mining was never meant to be part of the game. (This argument would be - for me - the reason to switch it off). Perhaps we should accept that one has to save some gold in order to buy some special creatures (as it probably was when MS started) and refrain from "I want this and if I cannot get it asap it's the game's fault"?
  • Rosehill also mentioned[2] (several times as far as I remember) that other ways for getting gold are considered and discussed behind the scenes. That's very sweet and something we should be looking forward to.
  • In case all server issues are resolved and it turns out that the server can handle such huge amounts of requests it could be - theoretically - reactivated. Perhaps with a daily limit?
  • From the climate/CO2/energy etc. point of view I can imagine that mining should be disabled (not my field of expertise, though). Sending hundreds/thousands requests to a server for such a low benefit (let's face it!) leaves a bad taste in my mouth...
Best,
kunigund

Reference quotes:
[1] Link to original thread
Rosehill wrote: November 17th, 2023, 3:26:39 pm I will just say that quest prices etc. have never been set up with gold mining in sight, since gold mining isn't an official part of the gameplay. Price changes are thus unlikely to happen.
[2] Link to original thread
Rosehill wrote: November 18th, 2023, 1:22:10 am For discussion about the gold mechanics I'd encourage everyone to have and keep it on the announcement post about gold mining. A lot of ideas and caveats have already been thrown around there, and I know Raneth's already found some of the ideas there quite appealing. :evil:

Return to “Site News”