Fish talk

Come here, take a break, chat with friends about anything and everything.

Best beginner fish species

Betta
38%
White skirt
3%
Cory cat
8%
Loach
5%
Gourami
2%
Pleco
2%
Neon Tetra
18%
Tang
No votes
Other
25%

Total votes: 61

HerpLuvin
CreaturesTrade

Re: Fish talk

Post by HerpLuvin »

TNHawke wrote: There is that... I'll have to look into them again, it's been a few years since I had them. Although every time I had them, it was in 50+ gallons and my largest was 5 inches and 3 years old before I had a biosystem crash that killed everything. I suppose it's possible that my local stores accidentally got the smaller variety and didn't realize it?
The crawling around thing does make a friend's experience make more sense. They have (had?) a bicher in a desk top tank, and it keeps bashing into the lid, apparently trying to escape. Knowing this, it probably IS trying to escape and desires a much larger tank.
I found a picture of a Senegal bichir in china that is 39 centimeters(15 inches)long, according to the tape measure next to it.

here is the link
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

wow, that is AWESOME!
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
Kvothe
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kvothe »

Got my male beta fish Oliver almost three months ago now. He has a nice little setup in his 1 gallon tank. He has an easter island head to sleep in, and a nice orange plant to keep him occupied. I can't believe how affectionate beta fish are. He lets me regularly pet him.
I like my eggs scrambled.

ImageImageImageImage
Namyre
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Namyre »

I'm currently in Aquatic Science in my senior year of high school. My group (of which I am the leader) has a 10gal with four zebra danios and two leopard danios. I'm loving the class so much that I got a 10gal for home with four leopard danios in it currently, and at the end of the year the six other fish are joining them. I'm considering switching from the pea gravel to a black sand substrate.

My Stuff
Spoiler
In Class 10gal:
At Home 10gal:
My fish
I am researching these fish for possible future stock, once I aquire a bigger tank and more equipment.
Spoiler
Killifish
Paradise Gourami
Generic, Comet and/or Shubunkin goldfish
Blacknose Dace
Betta (a female sorority tank or a few solo males)
Otocinclus catfish
TheKittenOverlord
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheKittenOverlord »

I don't have any fish right now but all I've ever had was goldfish. I would like to get minnows in the future though or something tropical.
Image My name is Kat. Fear me mortal. Image

~~~~~~

Please click to get a coin!
ImageImageImageImage
LaughingIdiot
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by LaughingIdiot »

I had tropical fish. They were really lovely and we were told they'd all be compatible and happy with one another by fishy experts. One day(about a year later) one of them had a stroke of morbid twisted fishy genius and realized his brother and everyone else was edible. I wish the fish he ate died sooner... They stayed alive far too long.

Moral of the story:
Never get Parrot fish. Also parrot fish don't eat fish so I assume mine was psychotic.
Mockingbird13
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Mockingbird13 »

That sounds horrible :( I was really worried about fish on fish violence when I picked mine out just because I wanted to avoid that.

Right now I have a weather loach who is doing really well, and seven rosy minnows. The loach I got on purpose, mainly because he looked really cool and and my research showed that he would be a good match for my tank, which was empty before that. Really big, I don't know how many gallons because it doesn't have an info tag on it and I am horrible at eyeballing measurements, but it's quite big. It covers the whole top of my dresser and is taller than one of my forearms. I tried out real plants but that did not work out so I switched to a bunch of fake ones that the fish still seem to like for cover.

The rosy minnows were not an intended addition, but I'm still cool with them and they haven't had problems with my loach. Basically my sister was regularly buying feeder minnows for one of her snakes, who ate fish, but he passed away. It wasn't really that unexpected because he was a super old snake, but it was still pretty sad. And my sister had a few minnows in her room and no snake to feed them to. So she asked if I wanted them and my tank was basically just this huge space with one loach and some plants and little caves and stuff so I said okay and now I've had the minnows in there since...shortly before the pandemic? So about two years now?
Originally there were about ten, but some of them have died. I think their projected lifespan is 2-4 years and my sister did get them from a big feeder tank at the local petstore so I never expected them to live, like, a super long time. I'm pleasantly surprised that the majority are doing so well.Once they've all died I don't know what I'll put in my tank. I'll have to figure out what loaches enjoy for company I guess, haha.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
KhaleesiKiyiyaWolf
CreaturesTrade

Post by KhaleesiKiyiyaWolf »

Hi there! Experienced Betta owner whose quite happy to find folks who seem to enjoy learning more about the amazing fish we tend to look after! It's sometimes hard to find the right information so I'm happy to help in any way that I can <3
ImageKhaleesiKiyiyaWolfImage

Return to “Popsicle stand”