The How Was Your Day Thread V4

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
SouthernCryptid
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: The How Was Your Day Thread V4

Post by SouthernCryptid »

BBkat wrote:Ohh, I read To Kill a Mockingbird in English class once. I actually enjoyed it.
Ray Bradbury also has some good books as well.
RAY. BRADBURY.

Someone shoot me in the head. I LOVE that author. GREAT novels. GREAT with a capital 'G-R-E-A-T'. I'mma die. I adored his books as lower middle-schooler, and STILL re-read them. I did my English Final Essay on him, 23 pages of crazy, all on 'em and his books. (Made a 198/200 on it too, because I am THAT in love with this guy's works.)

Of course, I love other authors too, but this guy really, really, really got me into 'the older stuff' (as I put it when I was very, very young) at a younger age. Made me be able to appreciate some of the AP novels better than the other students, because he got me so hooked into books older than about 10-20 years.

EDIT: Of course, that isn't the oldest stuff I've read. XD He just really, really got me into reading (and writing!) at that crucial age. I'd already loved reading, but I started going deeper into literature after reading his books.
ApprenticeCrone
CreaturesTrade

Post by ApprenticeCrone »

I wasn't quite as appreciative of Bradbury, but I do have a fondness for older books.

Lorna Doone has to be one of my all time favorites. Forget the characters; the setting was incredible, even if it was a highly romanticized/nostalgic sort of white washed history.
It was still wonderful!
Clicks appreciated:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Loaning out doni pets for breeding: FREE -see profile for details, then pm me
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

SOMEONE WANTS 350 DOLLARS FOR OSCAR LOBSTER'S FAIR EXCHANGE?
They're looney. Absolutely bonkers. It was a good book, but it's just a book! I think the local used books will do just fine, thanks

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Post by HobbitFeet »

GrowlingCupcake wrote:Frankenstein for me. One of my favourites. And then Macbeth and Othello if those count.
Frankenstein is magnificent! Probably the only class book I really got into when I was younger, except for Poe's works.
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

☆·•●☽~Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?~☾●•·☆
Smallguy25
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Smallguy25 »

Kurt Vonnegut is pretty great.
Tekla
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tekla »

I could never really get into literature I HAD to read for class (and as a result I hate much of it now), but To Kill a Mockingbird was good, as was Fahrenheit 451.

ImageImageImage
~
ImageImageImageImageImage
--
"Oh! My feet of fire! My burning feet of fire!"
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

Tekla wrote:I could never really get into literature I HAD to read for class (and as a result I hate much of it now), but To Kill a Mockingbird was good, as was Fahrenheit 451.
Most of the time I hated the books we had to read for class. But occasionally we would end up with ones that I would enjoy. Including both of those two xD

I also took a liking to the Shakespeare we did. Twelfth Night was a hoot and for what ever reason I really like MacBeth and Hamlet. And while we didn't do it, A Midsummer Night's Dream is also another one I like.
ApprenticeCrone
CreaturesTrade

Post by ApprenticeCrone »

Uh-huh. Some of them were definitely better than others.

Kipling and Robert Louis Stevenson spring to mind, too.
Clicks appreciated:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Loaning out doni pets for breeding: FREE -see profile for details, then pm me
SouthernCryptid
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by SouthernCryptid »

Smallguy25 wrote:Kurt Vonnegut is pretty great.
This is actually my favorite author at this point in my life. Healthy respect for this guy here! :D Didn't have as much impact on me as early as Ray Bradbury's works, but this author's tone and creativity kill me. SO AWESOME.

*gushes* I'm going to cut myself off on this one though. XD I'm sure no one wants to see me talk about an author for five miles on their computer screens.
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

ApprenticeCrone wrote:Uh-huh. Some of them were definitely better than others.

Kipling and Robert Louis Stevenson spring to mind, too.
I am quite fond of classic poetry, but most of the classics are a total drag for me.

Except Sherlock Holmes :yarly:

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence

Return to “Community Discussion”