Religion- Read first post please

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

stormiecub
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Religion- Read first post please

Post by stormiecub »

Did I say that Catholicism was the first form of Christianity? I don't remember having said that (but that doesn't mean that I didn't say it!). If I did, that's not what I believe. Catholicism came much later than many churches teach, and there is quite a gap between the crucifixion of Christ and the advent of the Catholic Church.

If I implied that at all, I'm really sorry. Sometimes it's an error in the way that I communicate. I'm always stunned when someone tells me I said something "well" because I don't always even understand myself!
Gifts: 7/25
I'm breeding some of my event creatures at random for those who have wishlisted them. Happy Halloween!

Dragon Cave:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Cassowary
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Cassowary »

TxCat wrote:Cass, while I am not a practicing Satanist, I have read LaVay and do keep some of his tenets, most of which are contained in his Satanic Bible (which is only a bible in that it is a basic philosophical and religious guide). I would consider it more a life philosophy than a religion which often dovetails with ceremonial magick and other pagan practices.

When I get to my library this evening, I could post the nine tenets if you like.
I think wikipedia has them already. I was just wondering if you knew exactly how vital the cerimonial stuff is in regards to being a satanist.
~ G I V E A W A Y ~
(once trades work...)
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Cass: in my experiences and according to what LaLay wrote, not terribly. It was more about the idea of the self as god/sole being responsible for one's life and actions and about taking care of self first and always. Some do utilize ceremonial magick to supplement those ideas but it's not a requirement. The mgickal elements are just a tool for enhancement if desired. One Satanist friend told me he could just ad easily use chocolate :)
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Cassowary
CreaturesTrade

Post by Cassowary »

Awesome.

... now I'm a satanist. For the lulz.

/goes to re-read the rules from Wiki

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
... this might be harder than I thought XD

And of course, nothing trumps this:
Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
~ G I V E A W A Y ~
(once trades work...)
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

*blinks* i will post the actual tenets. Someone on Wikipedia was having fun because LaVAy doesn't say either of those rhings!
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
BradTheMad
HS Moderator
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

Satanism is Darwinistic atheism. I have been a member of the CoS for a long time(I believe I already told I have been a seeker in my late teens en twenties before I returned to Judaism but many are surprised to hear I have been a Satanist, or better said thought to have been one).
Found out later I was more spiritual than I thought so I quit the CoS. Even though it's a lifelong membership I found it fair to inform I no longer considered myself a Satanist and I would just be deluding myself.

Most people hear the s-word and freak out. Satanists do not believe in G-d nor any devil(nor do I believe in a devil or hell for that matter so we still agree on that).
You cannot become a Satanist, you simply are one or not. If you read the Satanic Bible and you not only understand but agree with everything you might indeed be a Satanist.
Most just want to ride the bandwagon because the name is so cool. Don't even try, they are not fond of people playing pretend nor do they appreciate stupidity and whimsical behavior. If you'd come there and say "I wanna call myself this for the lulz" consider yourself banned for life.
They are fair in their dealings and very to the point but if you are used to politically correct responses you are in for a treat. It's called social Darwinism for a reason. They do not hold hands and sing songs together. You will get slapped just for not capitalizing the S for instance... :lol:

The only magic all Satanists use is Lesser Magic which should be seen as common daily things to get what you will(using all abilities you are gifted with to further your goals). Great Magic is true ritualistic work but there are many that never do or need this.

I learned a lot from LaVey's writings and it still holds it influences over me, just not in the spiritual department as Satanists are anti-spiritual really. Ritual simply fills a basic primal human need for structure and form, not a spiritual need as there is none in their opinion. In this they differ from other atheists who do not think humans need ritual at all.

I found a lot of positive things in Satanism where most only see negative. I can say I have truly grown the years I was amongst them and became a stronger person for it. I am much more skeptical of things inside religions (even my own) because of it and battle against fanaticism. For that I am grateful.

For the tenets simply visit the CoS site. I thought reposting wasn't allowed because of copyright. Look under Theory and Practice.
The mating signal and such is actually part of the writings! It's just not in the Nine Statement but the Eleven Rules of the Earth. I especially love the Nine Sins.
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.
Cassowary
CreaturesTrade

Post by Cassowary »

Eh, not like I'm applying for membership now or anything, just looking into it.

Atheism doesn't say anything about rituals or whatnot, it's just when you don't believe there are gods.

Looks legit, TxCat, since it's straight from their website.
~ G I V E A W A Y ~
(once trades work...)
BradTheMad
HS Moderator
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

Cassowary wrote:
Atheism doesn't say anything about rituals or whatnot, it's just when you don't believe there are gods.
But this isn't standard atheism. LaVey understood the need for ritual and psychodrama. The human mind needs it in his opinion; structure and a way to vent emotions otherwise locked in. Whether or not ritual magic actually accomplishes something or not is left to each individual Satanist. Therefore some do it and others don't.

Best thing is to read through the Satanic Bible and the entire site. That will give you a good view of what it's all about. Most Satanists don't even sign up with the CoS, there's no need to become a member anyway as it's not a social club.
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.
Wild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wild »

I'm wondering, and I hope this is the right thread, any fellow Ignostics out there?

I'm a bit too tired to write up a description of it, but I'll try when it's not midnight. Might edit this post.
You can also find me on:
Dragon Cave
cat4012735
CreaturesTrade

Post by cat4012735 »

I'm atheist.
Last edited by cat4012735 on March 10th, 2021, 11:26:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”