How Was Your Day Thread V5

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
PKGriffin
Site Moderator
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Re: How Was Your Day Thread V5

Post by PKGriffin »

Well, I'm enraged that Chrome decided to remove a bunch of features I use on a regular basis. I keep going to close all other tabs and it's. It's just. Not there. Anymore.

:D

*internal screaming*
-------------------------
ImageImageImageImage
Desade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Desade »

Is the Twitter button not working for anyone else?
I love you 3000, Bosco.
~ ♥ ~
my wishlist!
9/25 gifts, thank you!
~ • ~
Katnilb
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Katnilb »

Desade wrote:Is the Twitter button not working for anyone else?
I don't think it's worked since some changes Twitter made a couple months back.
Desade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Desade »

I ...hic... love Halloween. <3
I love you 3000, Bosco.
~ ♥ ~
my wishlist!
9/25 gifts, thank you!
~ • ~
Revan
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Revan »

Katnilb wrote:
Same problem here. I just copy and paste the critter link.
Need hatchlings?
Come visit The Hatchery!

Free Lineages!

If you visit my Keep, beware. I hoard owls. I am not responsible for any pecked out eyeballs or loss of fingers that may occur.
Wishlist :orly:
Danafox
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Danafox »

Revan wrote:
Katnilb wrote:
Same problem here. I just copy and paste the critter link.
Yeah and the good twitter addon doesn't work as a fix anymore either. (at least not for me on firefox)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dana's Sales Bin
LTT Donis for Below1Percent

Thank you to all my gifters! <3
jmilana
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by jmilana »

Such a frustrating day. :sulk:
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

Spoiler
As I'm sure many of you noticed, the site had a planned downtime from the evening of September 19th to the early hours of September 20th.

We want to tell you a little more about that and what it means for the site.

The site has been running on a good old server fondly called Willow, for several years. As is customary for technology, it gets outdated pretty fast. Yet Willow has been keeping us all going and the site running mostly without an incident.

At some point the actual physical server needed to be moved out from where it was previously located. The new location proved to be satisfactory for a while, though the server was at a greater risk of being cut off from electricity or network connection. This risk got magnified, and the site kept experiencing more and more internet connection and power outage problems causing the site to go down more frequently during spring and summer 2019.

So, some measures were taken during September and the whole site was moved to a cloud based system. Madd did all the heavy lifting, and now we have the same old, but a lot nicer, smoother and shinier Magistream! This means that the speed of the site should be improved. It means that the stability of the site should be improved. In theory the site should never go down again. It means we're also hopeful the site can now handle the load of the site events much better!

The site now also uses https instead of http which means the data traffic to and from the site is encrypted.

Some of other the stuff under the hood also got an update, and with a site as old as Magistream, that caused some incompatibility issues, which you all encountered once the site came back up. Almost everything should be fixed, or being worked on at the moment, but as we may have still missed something, if you encounter any more trouble, please let us know in the Report site errors here thread.

Our creative team of advisors, mods and artists have many a thing planned for future, both in terms of improvements to the user experience and event wise, and we're excited to see what possibilities we can explore!
That's from the News post. I have to say, I don't think it helped. Ever since this so called update, things have been totally glitchy and frustratingly annoying as hell. Now we're in the middle of an event and everything is going to hell in a handcart.

Is there any way to temporarily revert back to the pre-update coding? Because I think you need to do a LOT more beta testing before releasing the 'new and improved' version.
05/24/2024 Moving Day - not sure how long I will be offline
Danafox
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Danafox »

CinnaminDraconna wrote:
Spoiler
As I'm sure many of you noticed, the site had a planned downtime from the evening of September 19th to the early hours of September 20th.

We want to tell you a little more about that and what it means for the site.

The site has been running on a good old server fondly called Willow, for several years. As is customary for technology, it gets outdated pretty fast. Yet Willow has been keeping us all going and the site running mostly without an incident.

At some point the actual physical server needed to be moved out from where it was previously located. The new location proved to be satisfactory for a while, though the server was at a greater risk of being cut off from electricity or network connection. This risk got magnified, and the site kept experiencing more and more internet connection and power outage problems causing the site to go down more frequently during spring and summer 2019.

So, some measures were taken during September and the whole site was moved to a cloud based system. Madd did all the heavy lifting, and now we have the same old, but a lot nicer, smoother and shinier Magistream! This means that the speed of the site should be improved. It means that the stability of the site should be improved. In theory the site should never go down again. It means we're also hopeful the site can now handle the load of the site events much better!

The site now also uses https instead of http which means the data traffic to and from the site is encrypted.

Some of other the stuff under the hood also got an update, and with a site as old as Magistream, that caused some incompatibility issues, which you all encountered once the site came back up. Almost everything should be fixed, or being worked on at the moment, but as we may have still missed something, if you encounter any more trouble, please let us know in the Report site errors here thread.

Our creative team of advisors, mods and artists have many a thing planned for future, both in terms of improvements to the user experience and event wise, and we're excited to see what possibilities we can explore!
That's from the News post. I have to say, I don't think it helped. Ever since this so called update, things have been totally glitchy and frustratingly annoying as hell. Now we're in the middle of an event and everything is going to hell in a handcart.

Is there any way to temporarily revert back to the pre-update coding? Because I think you need to do a LOT more beta testing before releasing the 'new and improved' version.
Spoiler
I kinda agree with you, this should have been beta tested if it were possible. But it probably wasn't able to be done, but I don't really know since I don't know that type of information.

But don't get your hopes up on a revert. Pretty sure that's not happening.

I noticed since a long while now that we never get the site backup messages, I remember when that would happen around 2am or 4am or so. I haven't seen those messages in quite a very long time, but then again I haven't been on the game during those hours in a long time as well. I miss seeing those messages in a weird way, it would make me feel secure that stuff is safe....Now we have the cloud, and that's actually cool (if it works).

Not sure I'm happy with https, if it's true that the site is slower due to it. We had normal http for 10 years and we were fine with that, so why fix what's not broken? I get the security thing, that makes sense and of course it would be better, but if we have this much lag and slowdown to do normal things on the site, that's going to cause more harm than good in the long run.

Also, still pissed at Twitter for breaking the button for us, I miss tweeting my eggs the lazy way by just clicking our little twitter button. sighs
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dana's Sales Bin
LTT Donis for Below1Percent

Thank you to all my gifters! <3
VilaWolf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Location: Library of Daninsky's Castle. 50% of my posts are sarcastic.

Post by VilaWolf »

clinnksh ...hic... wrisht full of bone glash braceletsh and looksh att Remy ... ... ... ... come oon man!

Dark Guild Will Trade For Water / Herb Guild Pets.
Egglocked? PM your codes, I'll Help. Free.
When Pigs Fly, Carry an Umbrella.
My Wish List
Last year all the Decessus were named after Haunted Chateaus. This year; Lost Media.

Return to “Community Discussion”