The Hobbit movie chat thread

Come here, take a break, chat with friends about anything and everything.

Did you read the book or see the lord of the rings moive?

Yes, I read The hobbit
25%
Yes, I read the Lord of the Rings
27%
Yes, I saw the lord of the rings movie
33%
Yes, I saw the animated The Hobbit movie
15%
No. What's a hobbit?
No votes

Total votes: 104

TOrideleKeto
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Hobbit movie chat thread

Post by TOrideleKeto »

Well, I remember when I was really little, my dad found the animated The hobbit movie. We did not realize what we were getting into when we saw it. I remember it was extremely cutesy.

On a side note, last week at the library I found the animated The Lord of the Rings. And not the veggie tales version (Ugh.) either. On the cover of the DVD it said "for children seven and under". AHHH! Can't they tell that The Lord of the Rings is a thought provoking story, and NOT meant for little kids to watch along with Elmo?! (Okay, well, I was under seven when Dad let me see the Lord of the Rings movies, but those were the PG13 ones, not the animated for younger audiences movies)

Aside from the songs that JRR Tolkien wrote into the book, I don't think that singing is a good idea for the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.
It's an honor to die brave and bold...
--Alexa Wilkonson, singing 1974
wolfcry
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfcry »

TOrideleKeto wrote: Wolfcry, I love your avatar.
Thanks! I got it from the official Hobbit movie site. ^_^
TOrideleKeto wrote:Well, I remember when I was really little, my dad found the animated The hobbit movie. We did not realize what we were getting into when we saw it. I remember it was extremely cutesy.

On a side note, last week at the library I found the animated The Lord of the Rings. And not the veggie tales version (Ugh.) either. On the cover of the DVD it said "for children seven and under". AHHH! Can't they tell that The Lord of the Rings is a thought provoking story, and NOT meant for little kids to watch along with Elmo?! (Okay, well, I was under seven when Dad let me see the Lord of the Rings movies, but those were the PG13 ones, not the animated for younger audiences movies)

Aside from the songs that JRR Tolkien wrote into the book, I don't think that singing is a good idea for the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.
LOL, there's a veggie tales version?? XD Wow.

I think they are going to include more songs in The Hobbit, if the trailer is any indication. But I'm sure Peter Jackson will find a good way to include them without it seeming silly or cutesy.

If anything, it's the Elves that have the "silly songs" in The Hobbit (especially when the Elves welcome Bilbo and the Dwarves to Rivendell). It's kind of strange, really. The Elves seem so solemn and serious in the three LOTR books and movies. And then you have two of the Mirkwood Elves getting totally drunk and passing out in The Hobbit. :lol:
White are the far-off plains, and white
The fading forests grow;
The wind dies out along the height,
And denser still the snow,
A gathering weight on roof and tree,
Falls down scare audibly.

~ Archibald Lampman, Snow

I will be on hiatus until Easter
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

I seem to recall that there are two versions of the animated Hobbit movie. One is the old, good, one with an art style that feels similar to The Last Unicorn. The other that I recall was an unlicensed version out in the 90s or 2000's, probably about the same time the live action ones came out. A friend said she saw it and it was cutesy and dumb.

The good one was made in 1977-78

However, after doing some research and finding no reference to it... Maybe I'm thinking of the unofficial LOTR cartoon done by the same guys as did that cartoon up there.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

TNHawke wrote:I seem to recall that there are two versions of the animated Hobbit movie. One is the old, good, one with an art style that feels similar to The Last Unicorn. The other that I recall was an unlicensed version out in the 90s or 2000's, probably about the same time the live action ones came out. A friend said she saw it and it was cutesy and dumb.

The good one was made in 1977-78

However, after doing some research and finding no reference to it... Maybe I'm thinking of the unofficial LOTR cartoon done by the same guys as did that cartoon up there.
There were two LotR cartoons, one by Rankin/Bass, the same ones who did that version of the Hobbit and The Last Unicorn(and the original Thundercats xD and many Christmas special like Rudolph) called The Return of the King. Then there was another done by Lumier Studios(or something like that) and it used in some places, a combination of live action and animaion. That one isn't very good imo.

Rankin/Bass I've noticed seem to be very good about keeping to the original sources when they turn a book into a movie-The Last Unicorn, The Hobbit, LotR... Plus I like the animation.
All the songs in that animated version of The Hobbit were in the book as well.
TOrideleKeto
CreaturesTrade

Post by TOrideleKeto »

wolfcry wrote:
If anything, it's the Elves that have the "silly songs" in The Hobbit (especially when the Elves welcome Bilbo and the Dwarves to Rivendell). It's kind of strange, really. The Elves seem so solemn and serious in the three LOTR books and movie.
I have an explanation. Tolkien supposedly wrote The Hobbit for "kids ten and under". The Lord of the Rings.......well, I read it when I was under ten, but I don't think it was actually meant for people that age. Especially the parts with (story spoiler alert- that's why it's under spoilers)
Spoiler
In the first book, Weather-top is really...um..nightmarish. In the second book the part where Merry and Pippen escape the Orcs and Ugluk (is that spelled correctly) is be headed. Also, Shelob and the whole figer-gets-bitten-off-by-Gollum-and-there-is-a-lot-of-blood part is rather scary.
Truthfully, I love those books, as i have mentioned frequently. For some strange reason, however, people are convinced I am a hobbit. Some people even think I am Frodo. People just randomly come up to me and are like "Are you Frodo?"
Hello? Did Frodo have glasses and wear a denim jacket? Did he wear weird handmade earrings? Did he have glasses? Did he wear shoes? (Okay...I do go barefoot when I can) That person in front of you is clearly me, not Frodo. I think you may need corrective eye ware. Also, would Frodo read The Lord of the Rings? Of course not! He already knows how it ends!!!
Byakugan01
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Byakugan01 »

Whoa, this movie actually got made!? I thought it had died in development! Joy of joys! Now, the only question is who has been chosen to be smaug.
Image If you like Insects, arachnids or other invertebrates or just want to learn about them, join us!

Image <-Kearia guards my keep.
wolfcry
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfcry »

I have an explanation. Tolkien supposedly wrote The Hobbit for "kids ten and under".
Yeah, that makes sense. Just the way it's written seems more light-hearted and funny -- seems to me like you can hear Tolkien's voice in the narration more than in the other books. Not as many battles or super-long descriptions of the landscapes (as pretty as they are, they take a while to read, lol). It's still just as brilliant and thoughtful as the other three, just different. I could relate to Bilbo in so many parts -- if I ever went on an adventure like that, I would probably be thinking "Why did I sign up for this?" many, many times. :lol:
The fading forests grow;

TOrideleKeto
CreaturesTrade

Post by TOrideleKeto »

They could have cast ME as Smaug. I could run around and make threatening growling noises. On a more serious note, I think they will use special effects for Smaug, like they did for the Barlog.
wolfcry
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfcry »

TOrideleKeto wrote:On a more serious note, I think they will use special effects for Smaug, like they did for the Barlog.
Hopefully. I would start to question Peter Jackson's sanity if they just used a person dressed up in a dragon suit like a team mascot. XD

So, what's everyone looking forward to seeing most in the movie? I'm really excited to see what the Mirkwood Elves are like. I'm also curious to see how they are going to include Legolas in the movie. Tolkien didn't mention him in the book version, but since he's supposed to be hundreds of years old, I guess it makes sense that he would be there in Mirkwood when Bilbo and the Dwarves travelled there. Legolas is only supposed to appear in the movie for a couple of minutes, but since he is one of my favorite LOTR characters, I'm happy nonetheless.

EDIT: Wow, I just got to my 100th post! :hooray:
The fading forests grow;

BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

wolfcry wrote:
TOrideleKeto wrote:On a more serious note, I think they will use special effects for Smaug, like they did for the Barlog.
Hopefully. I would start to question Peter Jackson's sanity if they just used a person dressed up in a dragon suit like a team mascot. XD

So, what's everyone looking forward to seeing most in the movie? I'm really excited to see what the Mirkwood Elves are like. I'm also curious to see how they are going to include Legolas in the movie. Tolkien didn't mention him in the book version, but since he's supposed to be hundreds of years old, I guess it makes sense that he would be there in Mirkwood when Bilbo and the Dwarves travelled there. Legolas is only supposed to appear in the movie for a couple of minutes, but since he is one of my favorite LOTR characters, I'm happy nonetheless.

EDIT: Wow, I just got to my 100th post! :hooray:
Also, Legolas IS the son of the king of the wood elves of Mirkwood, and since the dwarves do meet the kind of the wood elves it makes sense that you'd see him in there somewhere.

Return to “Popsicle stand”