How Was Your Day Thread V5

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
TheTreeTurtle
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Re: How Was Your Day Thread V5

Post by TheTreeTurtle »

My youngest baby got fixed today (lil kitty boy) and the vet has strictly instructed to not let him run or jump for the next two weeks. Of course, he is the most running and jumping cat I've ever had. Have any of y'all had experience with this or any tips to offer? I'm stressing lol
bebbies:

Buy from Winter 2011 & 2012
Gemcrafter Lineage
Wishlist

Thank you for all the gifts! <3
I'm 700 drinks in :well:

Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

The dahlia tubers I ordered are finally shipping! :t-woo: I'll need to obtain several more pots and probably a bunch more potting soil. Then once they're planted it'll be weeks of waiting for them to sprout! I was pretty nervous about my foray into caring for plants at first, especially ones as notoriously fiddly as dahlias, but the cuttings I ordered seem to actually be doing pretty well. Excited to see if I manage to get any flowers from them, but that's probably still like a month away at this point. I'm very impatient but fortunately I've also got a tomato seedling and some newly sprouted basil seedlings to fuss over in the meantime.

In less good news I finally got around to identifying some of the plants the previous owners of my place planted in the little tiny yard.....and they're super hecking invasive, like don't plant these things ever if you care about the environment. So now I'm frantically contacting landscaping companies to see about pulling all of them up and replacing them with less harmful things. It's likely to be really expensive and I'm kind of mad about how much the previous owners didn't care at all about what they put down. They really might as well have tossed in a wisteria and a bradford pear too, just to go the whole nine yards on ornamental invasive stuff.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

I never thought I'd be able to have the elder crystalwings, but they're right there :yey: I'm so excited!!

I may extend the date of my free raffle. I'm raffling off 30 prizes and I don't have nearly that many participants :yarly:
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly MadameRed - same grumpy soul, new and improved theft!
15th Magiversary Free Raffle!
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

Kestrad wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:38:42 pm They really might as well have tossed in a wisteria and a bradford pear too, just to go the whole nine yards on ornamental invasive stuff.
I never thought of Wisteria as a possible invasive species. :t-O_O: Looked it up and sure enough. Mimosas too. Huh. Learned something new. I knew the evil Kudzu and Bradford/Callery Pear are horrible invasive species here in the southeast.
2024 Crystalwings, Diamond Koi, horse-y things and Cypheles Crystalwings please!| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

pegasi1978 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 9:30:05 am
Kestrad wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:38:42 pm They really might as well have tossed in a wisteria and a bradford pear too, just to go the whole nine yards on ornamental invasive stuff.
I never thought of Wisteria as a possible invasive species. :t-O_O: Looked it up and sure enough. Mimosas too. Huh. Learned something new. I knew the evil Kudzu and Bradford/Callery Pear are horrible invasive species here in the southeast.
The honeysuckle most people are familiar with is also an invasive species!
Be kind.
falsanthin
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by falsanthin »

:hooray: I can finally get all the frozen crystalwing eggs and hatchlings i missed out on once they rerelease and hopefully some of those pesky alt coloured Cypheles that have been eluding me.

On the downside this month has rereleased alot of donation creatures i had my eye on too so hopefully i can grab a few shards once i've paid off my new laptop :sulk: always next year for the ones i can't get though lol
Kestrad
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

sammythethief wrote: May 1st, 2024, 10:31:07 am
pegasi1978 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 9:30:05 am
The honeysuckle most people are familiar with is also an invasive species!
Aw dang, I didn't know that honeysuckle was also invasive, but they sure are. I have fond memories of going to play near the woods and eating the flowers as a little kid.
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

Honeysuckle is my favorite fragrance, so I don't really care about it being invasive. If I want it around, I'll be a good gardener and keep it in check for it's decorativeness.

I'd rather get rid of all the darn wild blackberries.. they're everywhere!!
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
Kestrad
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

CinnaminDraconna wrote: May 1st, 2024, 3:58:24 pm Honeysuckle is my favorite fragrance, so I don't really care about it being invasive. If I want it around, I'll be a good gardener and keep it in check for it's decorativeness.

I'd rather get rid of all the darn wild blackberries.. they're everywhere!!
The problem with invasive plants like honeysuckle is that you can't keep it in check just by being a good gardener. Birds will eat the fruits and spread its seeds elsewhere, often far from where you are, and then they outcompete native shrubs. There are honeysuckles native to various parts of the US though, so it's unlikely your choices are to either go without your favorite fragrance or destroy the environment.
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

Kestrad wrote: May 1st, 2024, 4:29:09 pmThe problem with invasive plants like honeysuckle is that you can't keep it in check just by being a good gardener. Birds will eat the fruits and spread its seeds elsewhere, often far from where you are, and then they outcompete native shrubs. There are honeysuckles native to various parts of the US though, so it's unlikely your choices are to either go without your favorite fragrance or destroy the environment.
This. No amount of tending is going to prevent wildlife from germinating its seeds. Japanese honeysuckle will smother out native vegetation and sap soil of nutrients needed by nearby native vegetation as well. Even controlled burning has proven ineffective against it, because the roots often survive.

It's beautiful, smells lovely, and is fun to nibble on - I loved it as a kid. As an adult, I'd rather see the proper maintenance of native flora and the eradication of invasive species :t-shrug: It doesn't belong here, and it's a detriment.

I commissioned artwork for a fic I wrote and the artist finished it today. It. is. GORGEOUS! All I could have asked for and more! It really makes me want to keep learning art, so that I can draw this well one day and just draw my own pieces to accompany my written works ^_^
Be kind.

Return to “Community Discussion”